No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hassi’s Chief of Staff threatens to shoot down cargo planes

byMichel Cousins
November 10, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
By Libya Herald staff.
10 November 2014:
Cargo planes violating Libyan airspace suspected . . .[restrict]of delivering weapons and ammunition to fighters in the west of Libya could be shot down without warning, the Chief of Staff under the Tripoli-based administration of Omar Al-Hassi has said.
According to the Libyan news agency LANA, which is also now operating under the Hassi administration, there has been a marked increase of transport planes overflying Libya and heading to the Jebel Nafusa, scene of  ongoing clashes between members of the Libyan National Army and militia groups affiliated to the Libya Dawn movement.
Major-General Abdussalam Jadallah Al-Obeidi, sacked by the House of Representatives but still regarded as being in post as Chief of Staff by Hassi, claimed these planes were from Egypt and other neighbouring countries, and were delivering weapons and ammunition to the Zintan-based Sawaiq and Qaaqaa brigades. He claimed the planes had originated from Belarus.
These Zintan-based armed groups, which are now operating under the Libyan National Army, were intent on destabilising the security and stability of the country, he added.
Violating the sovereignty of Libya, such aircraft were also breaking national and international laws and conventions, Obeidi said. He warned that these aircraft would be considered as targets and could be fired upon without warning.
It is thought that the brief detention of an aircraft delivering aid from the UAE via Tobruk to the south-western town of Ghat yesterday was connected to this belief that foreign planes were delivering arms to groups opposed to the Hassi administration.
Obeidi’s statement is the latest accusation levelled at foreign aircraft alleged to be playing a role in Libya’s current conflicts, which some analysts are increasingly referring to as a “proxy war” being played out by Qatar and Turkey on the one side and the UAE and Egypt on the other.
His claims could also be in reaction to those made last week by the spokesman for Operation Dignity, which is now operating as part of the Libyan National Army. Mohamed Al-Hejazi claimed that a fifth delivery of weapons from either Qatar or Turkey had just been made to Misrata Airport. Both countries were supporting arming rebel elements in Libya, including Libya Dawn, he said.
Al-Obeidi has also vowed to build a strong army loyal to Libya and to God, that would protect the nation’s air, land and sea borders and “maintain the legitimacy of our institutions and the capabilities of the people”.

  [/restrict]

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Tags: Abdussalam Jadalah ObeidiLibyaLibya Dawn

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Student Union President abducted in Tripoli

Student Union President abducted in Tripoli

Historic statue of Omar Al-Mukhtar disappears

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.