No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HRW slams UAE over detained Libyans

byNigel Ash
October 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 6 October 2014:

Human Rights Watch has demanded that the United Arab Emirates reveal the whereabouts of ten . . .[restrict]Libyans apparently detained because of suspected ties to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Claiming that two of the Libyans, who are brothers, have been “forcibly disappeared”  HRW’s MENA director Joe Stork said that these were “grave international crimes that can place victims at serious risk of torture and cause their families anguish.” The key cause for concern, he explained was that local police had denied any knowledge of the two men.

Relatives of the brothers, Mohamed and Salim Elaradi are saying that neither man has been in contact since they were both detained  in Dubai on 28 August this year. They say that the authorities have refused to acknowledge that the Elaradis are in custody nor to say where they are being held.

RELATED POSTS

New China-UAE-Benghazi Julyana Free Port shipping line inaugurated

Libya and UAE sign MoU to lift air transport restrictions between the two countries

The family have said that Mohamed was summoned by police to go for questioning at Al Barsha police station at 8pm that evening. He returned home three hours later surrounded by plain clothes official, one of whom reportedly said that they were from Abu Dhabi. They searched the house and took away a laptop computer along with Mohamed, who they said would  be returning home soon.  That same evening Salim Elaradi was detained at a Dubai hotel and a computer and mobile phone seized in a search of his home.  However, the following day, officers at Al Barsha police station denied any knowledge of the brothers’ arrest.

HRW said that a fortnight before the pair were detained, immigration officials had questioned Mohamed for two hours about his political links and his relations with another brother, Abdulrazag, who they said was a member of the Muslim Brotherhood-linked Justice and Construction Party in Libya. Their family insist that neither Mohamed nor Salim is involved in politics.

HRW said it had been in touch with relatives of three more of the ten Libyans who are reported to have disappeared. All are members of the UAE business community.  The organisation said that families were reluctant to speak on the record for fear of the authorities.

HRW said that it had seen a 7 September message from the Libyan ambassador in the UAE  Aref Al- Nayed to the Libyan foreign ministry in Tripoli confirming the detention of the Elaradi brothers, as well as Kamal and Mohamed Kamal Eldarat. Mention was made of Libyans who also held UAE passports. Nayed reportedly said that his embassy was only responsible for Libyans who arrived in the UAE using their Libyan passports.

Two days after he had visited the UAE on 9 September, Prime Minster Abdullah Thinni said that seven Libyans had been detained. He did not name them, but insisted that Libyans accused of violating UAE laws would receive a fair trial. [/restrict]

Tags: detentionElaradi brothersLibyaUAE

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Fresh clashes in Aziziya reported

Thinni expected to go to Cairo for talks with President Sisi tomorrow

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.