No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli and Benghazi warn against attending protest today

bythomwestcott
February 7, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Tripoli and Benghazi warn against attending protest today

Head of Benghazi Joint Security Room, Colonel Abdullah Saaiti, in Benghazi last night

Tripoli, 7 February 2014:

Head of Benghazi Joint Security Room, Colonel Abdullah Saaiti, in Benghazi last night
Head of Benghazi Joint Security Room, Colonel Abdullah Saaiti, in Benghazi last night

Tripoli Local Council has urged people not to participate in protests planned today across Libya against the extension . . .[restrict]of the General National Congress.

“The Local Council of Tripoli appreciates every person’s right to demonstrate and express his/her opinion in a peaceful manner,” said head of Tripoli Local Council Sadat Al-Badri. He added, however, that information regarding the security situation should be broadcast, to make people fully aware of the potential danger of attending today’s protests.

“Based on alarming security information on the intended escalation of the situation,” Badri said, the council felt that to allow the demonstration to take place would be “suicidal.”

A group of Qaddafi-loyalists might try to hijack the demonstration, which has been planned for some months, he said. These supporters of the old regime had admitted plotting to carry out crimes at protests today, including randomly shooting into the crowd, in a message broadcast on a number of media outlets and satellite TV channels, he said. Their intention was to destabilise security, Badri added.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

The Benghazi Joint Security Room (BJSR) warned people against approaching the headquarters of the Armed Forces, police stations or prisons. Orders had been issued to use force against anyone violating this, the BJSR said, in a statement. The precautions are being taken following intelligence information that the planned protests may be used as a cover under which a group might try and commit crimes, including trying to release prisoners held at the city’s Al-Kwafah jail.

The Commander of the BJSR, Abdullah Saaiti, drove through the city’s streets last night, checking on the security situation. The BJSR developed a plan to ensure the town was secured in preparation for whatever might happen today, including the implementation of checkpoints and security patrols. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziGNCLibyaprotestssecurityTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

NFA official claims assassination attempt

Supplies "blocked" from reaching Tebu community: report

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.