No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Demonstrators quit Sarir power station after successful negotiations

byCallum Paton
January 16, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Demonstrators quit Sarir power station after successful negotiations

Demonstrators celebrate at Sarir power station

By Jamal Adel.

Demonstrators celebrate at Sarir power station
Demonstrators celebrate at Sarir power station

Tripoli, 16 January 2014:

Tebu protestors threatening to restart their fortnight-long blockade of fuel trucks feeding the Sarir power station . . .[restrict]yesterday called off their protest following successful negotiations with the government.

Tebu representative, Husain Aya, told the Libya Herald that the protest had been called off despite the outcome of the talks not being entirely satisfactory. “Prime Minister Ali Zeidan only half agreed on some of our demands, promising us he would set up a committee to evaluate Tebu districts in Kufra,” Aya said. “Zeidan said he would decide whether it has to be sub-local council or not, which represents Kufra’s Tebus.”

Amongst other demands, protestors wanted the Tebu town of Rebyana be linked to the national electricity grid, have a municipal council of its own and a sub-municipal council be established for the Tebu districts in Kufra where, at present, there are no Tebu representatives on the council.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli demonstrations start off peaceful in Martyr Square – end up with Molotov cocktails and fatality at Cabinet Office

Al-Sarir Oil Operations drills well B54 in Sarah field with capacity of 2,400 barrels per day ‎

Many protesters remain dissatisfied. Defence Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni  promised, when negotiations began, that the government would do everything in its power to meet Tebu demands. Kufra resident Fathi Hassan told this paper: “We should not have ended the demonstration until we were fully satisfied with the outcomes.” He added, on the subject of the creation of a committee to investigate Kufra districts, that Tebu residents in Kufra had seen the area evaluated frequently over the past 42 years with no changes ever seen on the ground.

Tebu cleric and demonstrator Hassan Trowey said, however, that the demonstration had been costly to the local community and the protestors who, he said, would not have lifted the blockade if they did not think their demands were being met. Trowey said that a dawn raid on Al-Sarir Farm in December, clashes in Ajdabiya and rising tribal tensions in Kufra were all partly linked to the blockade.

Demonstrators from Rebyana and Kufra began blocking Sarir power station at the end of November, demanding greater rights for the Tebu minority in the south of the country. The action blocked some 30 fuel trucks a day from serving the plant, forcing its closure. When negotiations began in December, protestors suspended the blockade as a show of good faith but were continuing to stage a sit-in and were threatening to again block the power station.

The head of Sarir power station, Hashim Al-Maliki, said the plant continued to work at an output of 250 MW, as it had since late December. He added that there had been no problems at the plant since it resumed production. [/restrict]

Tags: blockadedemonstrationsfeaturedLibyapower stationsarirTebu

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Political activist and revolutionary assassinated in Derna

Newspaper editor’s flat hit by RPG - no injuries

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.