No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC will move to Benghazi: PM

byMichel Cousins
June 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami. 

On the move? The NOC headquarters in Tripoli.

Tripoli, 29 May 2013:

The Prime Minister has confirmed that the National Oil Company (NOC) will move to Benghazi. “We . . .[restrict]will start to build a headquarters for the National Oil Corporation in Benghazi soon, and most of the staff will be transferred to it,” he announced at a press conference on Wednesday.

The issue of returning the NOC to Benghazi, demanded by a broad cross section of society in the city, has rumbled on for over a year.

In an attempt to placate Benghazi it was announced last year that it would be transferred back from the capital but this was almost instantly rescinded following protests by staff at NOC’s Tripoli headquarters, refusing to move.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Since then, there have been various efforts at a compromise, the main suggestion being that the NOC would be split into two, a refining and marketing operation and an exploration and production company, the former to be based in Benghazi and the latter in Tripoli. There was even at one point a suggestion of creating a third operation in Sebha.

This has satisfied no one – not Benghazi nor the NOC staff in Tripoli who are known to be opposed to any separation or any move.

Mohamed Al-Ansari, from the NOC’s media office, today told the Libya Herald that Deputy Oil Minister Omar Shakmak had denied that Zeidan said the headquarters would move to Benghazi. He said that what was meant was that a representative office of NOC would be opened there. However yesterday, Shakmak was quoted by Reuters saying very definitively that “the headquarters will be in Benghazi,” providing that a restructuring plan was approved by Congress.

For her part, Congresswoman Fawzia Karwan, a member of the Energy Committee, says there is a plan to create a new organisation which she called the Libyan Corporation for Manufacturing and Exploration. It would be based in Benghazi.  (The company to which she was referring is thought to be the planned Libyan Corporation for Refining and Downstream Operations.)

A branch of the new corporation would be set up in Tripoli, she told the Libya Herald, just as the NOC would have a representative office in Benghazi. The aim is to decentralise.

Karwan added that the Committee had met with the Oil Minister Abdulbari Al-Arusi as well as Benghazi Congress members to discuss the issue and that it was pointed out that a transfer of the NOC as a whole would involve a major financial loss for the ministry.

“Benghazi will not get any benefit from transferring the NOC there”, she added, “because employees from the western region will follow the corporation and there will be no opportunity to appoint employees from Benghazi and the eastern part of Libya”.

However, it would be different with the Libyan Corporation for Manufacturing. It would be independent of the NOC. It would aid Benghazi’s economic recovery, she said, because all production and exploration companies would also move to in Benghazi. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali ZeidanBenghazifeaturedLibyaNOCTripoli

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Weapons seized on Beida farm

Ajdabiya transformer blaze cuts local power

Ajdabiya transformer blaze cuts local power

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.