No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Wintershall’s Libya production recovering while overall profits pass €1 billion

byNigel Ash
March 16, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Until it evacuated all but a small team of its expatriate employees in February last year, German energy company Wintershall . . .[restrict]was getting some 70 percent of its oil and gas production from Libya, where it was the second largest international oil company.

The loss of some 90,000 b/d for eight months ought to have hit the firm’s financials hard, but thanks to strong oil prices, Wintershall has just announced bumper 2011 profits, passing €1 billion for the first time. However because of the interruption in its Libyan liftings, earnings per share before interest and tax actually fell ten percent.

Wintershall chairman Rainer Seele announcing the figures at its Kassel headquarters said “Our result for the year shows that with our company’s focus on core regions, combined with partnerships and technologies, we are on the right track”.

The German company lost little time in returning to Libya last October. In December Seele and the head Exploration and Production (E&P) Martin Bachmann came to Tripoli to meet local employees and members of the government, including Prime Minister Abdurahim el Kib.

Wintershall's Rainer Seele (centre) and E&P chief Martin Bachmann meet Prime Minister Abdurahim el Kib

At the gathering of Wintershall’s 450 workers Seele announced that its Jakhira field was to be renamed “Tako”, in honour of an employee who was killed while on duty there during the revolution. No Wintershall facilities were seriously damaged in the fighting, before which production operations had been sealed off. Seele also promised that the company would support Libyan relief efforts and look after its employees.

RELATED POSTS

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Production has now reached 60,000 b/d and Seele said in Kassel that he believed it can reach 90,000 b/d. Thereafter however, the company faced restraints because of the old pipeline system carrying crude from its production around the Jakhira oasis, 1,000 kilometres south east of Tripoli and 350 kilometres south west of Benghazi to the coast.

Seele told Reuters after the 2011 results announcement: “We are now discussing with (Libya’s) national oil company a long-term solution because the pipeline is more than 50 years ‘young’ and we definitely have to see whether we can find a solution there”.

He also said that the business climate in Libya had improved since his October visit, when international financial sanctions imposed on the Qaddafi regime were still being unwound and Libya’s financial stability seemed in question.

“It is now back to normal” he said, “We have no problems with financial transactions and sanctions are lifted.”

Wintershall, a subsidiary of the German chemicals giant BASF, has been in Libya since 1958 and has eight producing fields in concessions jointly operated with Russia’s Gazprom. The largest is the As Sarah field, where Wintershall operates Libya’s first gas conditioning plant, from which gas and condensate are then transported to the coast. It also has an interest in the Al Jurf offshore field in the Mediterranean Sea off the Libyan coast.

The company’s total investment in Libya now exceeds $2 billion and it has drilled over 150 wells. In 2006 it was awarded an 11,000 s.q km. exploration area in south-eastern Libya.
[/restrict]

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

May 19, 2026
Workshop on strengthening institutional capacities in Libya’s leasing sector
Business

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

May 19, 2026
Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey
Business

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

May 19, 2026
Libyan Iron and Steel Company achieves record production in HBI and DRI
Business

Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

May 19, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
Next Post
Funerals of martyrs found in secret morgue take place in Tripoli

Funerals of martyrs found in secret morgue take place in Tripoli

Niger withdraw's Bashir's passport

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.