No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“In a few weeks security will be fine and companies will be back” – Prime Minister Ali Zeidan

bySami Zaptia
January 31, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
“In a few weeks security will be fine and companies will be back” – Prime Minister Ali Zeidan

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan (centre) with his Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail to his right at yesterday's press conference in Tripoli (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan (centre) with his Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail to his right at yesterday’s press conference in Tripoli (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 31 January:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan claimed that security will be fine in a few weeks in Libya and . . .[restrict]Interior Minister Ashour Shwail admitted his surprise at the security incident in Misrata – at yesterday’s Prime Minister’s press conference.

Libya Herald asked the Interior Minister in view of the Algerian In-Amenas incident, the French intervention in Mali, the security incidents in Benghazi, the Misrata assassination of the local council member and the bomb thrown into the UN compound in Tripoli – what was his comment about the reality of the security situation in Libya?

But before the Interior Minister could reply, the Prime Minister interrupted him: “I will answer regarding Algeria and Mali”, before allowing his Interior Minister to continue.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

In reply, Minister Shuwail admitted his surprise at the Misrata incident. “Misrata was strong and under control. We changed the head of security there”, he added. As for the home-made bomb thrown into the unmanned UN compound in the Gurji district of Tripoli, the Interior Minister said that he had been talking to the UN earlier and that “they were happy with our response”.

And although I had directed my question at the Interior Minister, Prime Minister Zeidan interjected, adding that Libya was “in a revolution and the revolution had destroyed many interests. They don’t want order”, he added without specifying who exactly they were.

“The borders were open and anyone who wanted to enter could enter. There is progress on the security front. Some groups want this and the efforts of the state to fail.”

Regarding my Algeria portion of the question, the Prime Minister said that “We went to Algeria. It could have happened anywhere. I met the (Algerian) Foreign Minister in Davos and the (Algerian) Prime Minister in Addis Abbaba and discussed many security issues. Our forces are now on the borders. This was a one-off”, Zeidan concluded.

Asked by a member of the press if the lack of security would force foreign companies to leave Libya, the Prime Minister reacted by saying that “the phrase lack of security is wrong. If there was no security we would not be here now. But I want to assure you that in a few weeks security will be fine and companies will be back” .

In his briefing before taking questions, Interior Minister Shuwail had confirmed that over 26,000 individuals had applied to join the official security forces and he stressed that they will get paid even if they fail to get accepted. There will be fast track training he stressed.

The Minister also revealed that CCTV cameras will be installed or activated in Tripoli, Benghazi and Sebha. This will enable the authorities “to monitor the security situation even from Tripoli” he explained.

Shuwail also announced that the National Unified ID Number and the new issue electronic passports will be activated soon. He added that there were many fraudulent passports in circulation, especially outside Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: algeriaAli ZeidanAshour ShuwailBenghazibombIn AmenasInterior MinisterMaliMisratapress conferencePrime MinistersecurityLibyaUN

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Our wide travels are to market Libya’s message – Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdel Aziz

Our wide travels are to market Libya’s message – Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdel Aziz

US biotech firm to equip Tripoli Forensic laboratory

US biotech firm to equip Tripoli Forensic laboratory

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.