No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Abushagur faces the sack

byGeorge Grant
October 7, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Abushagur faces the sack

Congress is said to be just four votes short of the number it has decided are required to dismiss Abushagur. (Photo: George Grant)

Congress is said to be . . .[restrict]just four votes short of the number it has decided are required to dismiss Abushagur. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 7 October:

Mustafa Abushagur faces the real possibility of being sacked by the National Congress at a vote to be held later today, the Libya Herald has learned.

The prime minister-elect has been engulfed in crisis since his proposed government met with a disastrous reception from Congress members on Wednesday.

Well-placed sources both inside and outside of the 200-member body have said that 116 Congress and women will vote to remove Abushagur at a meeting tomorrow, having decided that 120 votes will be needed to pass the motion.

“Abushagur has lost credibility on all sides”, said one independent Congressman, who requested not to be named. “He cannot survive”.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Yesterday evening, the Libya Herald witnessed a National Forces Alliance member emerge from a meeting at Tripoli’s Corinthia Hotel only to exclaim: “Tomorrow morning, Abushagur will be out”, before kicking an imagined object out of the door and making a spitting gesture.

The prime minister-elect was forced to withdraw his entire cabinet overnight on Wednesday, a matter of hours after having proposed it for Congressional approval.

Abushagur is due to submit a revised cabinet later today, but it is reckoned that this new list will not succeed in placating Congress members who have already resolved to vote for his dismissal.

A copy circulating yesterday purported to show that 11 names had been changed, the ministers of interior, finance, defence, higher education, health, oil, social affairs, labour, martyrs, electricity and the deputy prime minister.

A twelfth alteration was the inclusion of a foreign minister, with Abushagur having originally planned to assume that responsibility in addition to being prime minister until a suitable candidate was found.

Members of the NFA were amongst the first to vent their outrage at the initial line-up, after it emerged that not a single one of the nine names proposed by Mahmoud Jibril had been included.

A Congress source told this paper on Wednesday that when NFA Congressman Ibrahim Al-Ghariani first saw the cabinet list, he tore the paper up and threw it at Abushagur in a fit of rage.

Feisal Krekshi, formerly the NFA General-Secretary, was included in the proposed cabinet, but only after he and some 15 to 20 alliance members broke from the NFA a few days earlier.

The group had chosen to support Abushagur’s efforts to form a government after negotiations between Jibril and the prime ministerial team stalled over the alliance chief’s reportedly unacceptable demands.

Numerous independent Congress members also expressed their anger with Abushagur for failing to consult with them during the negotiations, including several who had voted for him to become prime minister.

Several Congressmen told the Libya Herald that they opposed many names on the list on account of their ties to the former regime and considered others unqualified or else unknown to them altogether.

On Thursday, some 200 protesters from Zawia stormed the Congress, reportedly complaining that the proposed government did not include a single representative from the town.

It has subsequently been claimed, however, that the real source of anger was over the inclusion of Omar Aswad as Interior Minister who, it is alleged, was responsible for a number of deaths in the town under the former regime.

Having recognised the weakness of Abushagur’s position, it is said that even Muslim Brotherhood-linked Congress members have resolved to abandon him in an effort to find an acceptable alternative. Eight Brotherhood supporters were included in the original 28-member cabinet, the only group in Congress said to have been broadly satisfied with the result.

If Abushagur is sacked tomorrow Congress will need to find an alternative who will, in turn, have to repeat the process of attempting to select an acceptable cabinet, a process which could delay the formation of a new government by at least another month. [/restrict]

Tags: Abushagurfeatured

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Conference on the rebuilding of Libya concludes in Jordan

Conference on the rebuilding of Libya concludes in Jordan

Hundreds gather at Congress in support of Bani Walid

Hundreds gather at Congress in support of Bani Walid

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.