No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR sets in motion process of replacing deputy HoR president Shouaib

byMichel Cousins
December 12, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
HoR sets in motion process of replacing deputy HoR president Shouaib

asd

By Libya Herald reporter.

asd
The HoR in session (Photo: HoR)

Tunis, 12 December 2017:

The position of Emhemed Shouaib, the first deputy president of the House of Representatives (HoR), is seen as under threat as a result of discussions in today’s session of the parliament in Tobruk.

Reacting to his constant absence, HoR president Ageela Saleh was authorised to set a committee to amend the HoR rules, according to the parliament’s spokesman, Abdullah Bulaihak. This is seen as setting in motion the replacement of Shouaib.

One of Zawia’s eight representatives, Shouaib shot to fame as leader of the HoR’s dialogue team in the UN-led negotiations that resulted in the Libyan Political Agreement two years ago. Since then he has been absent from Tobruk, based mainly in the UAE. He has, however, been spoken of as a future possible president or prime minister.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In today’s session, attended by 60 members, it was also decided that the election for a new governor of the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) would take place.

The HoR sacked Saddek Elkaber as governor three years ago and told his deputy, Ali Hibri, to take over on a temporarily basis. He has been temporary governor in the eyes of the HoR and the eastern authorities ever since, while lacking almost all the levers of power to do the job.

Elkaber has effectively remained in post because he is recognised by the Presidency Council (PC) as governor and because under the Rome agreement which preceded the Skhirat accord, all the major international powers including the five UN permanent Security Council members plus the Arab League, the EU and the African Union said that they would work only with the authorities under the control of the PC. They specifically mentioned to the CBL, the National Oil Corporation and the Libyan Investment Authority.

Moreover, ever since the HoR sacked Elkaber, it has been unable to decide on a successor. There were efforts again this year to make an appointment with candidates shortlisted back in April but a vote to appoint was then blocked by some 30 members. Fresh plans to make an appointment in July came to nothing.

Apart from the position of Shouaib and a new CBL governor, the majority of today’s HoR session was devoted to discussing the UN action plan put forward by UNSMIL chief Ghassan Salamé.  Discussions focuss specifically on the process of amending the Libyan Political Agreement in line with Salamé’s proposals  and then incorporating it into the 2011 Constitutional Declaration which acts as Libya’s interim constitution..

The HoR has voted to endorse the proposals, but the State Council has not.

The HoR will meet again next week.

Tags: Abdullah BulaihakEmhemed ShouaibfeaturedHoRLibyaSaddek Elkaber

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Serraj in Istanbul for special summit on US Jerusalem recognition

Serraj in Istanbul for special summit on US Jerusalem recognition

LNA election centres attack denial is fake says Mismari

LNA election centres attack denial is fake says Mismari

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.