No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata orders BDB and allies to disarm and disband

byMichel Cousins
June 7, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 6 June 2017:

In a new display of unity in Misrata, leaders of the Bunyan Marsous Operations Room, of Battalion No. 40, the city’s military council and its municipal council have ordered the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB) positioned at the Baghla junction on the road south of Abu Grain to disband, surrender their weapons and their leader Mustafa al-Sharksi. If the ultimatum were ignored, the Misratans said they would use force against the BDB.

Referring to the backing it has had from the controversial grand mufti Sadek Al-Ghariani, the Misratan statement referred to the BDB as the “mufti’s forces”.

The statement represents something of watershed in Misrata. For the past six months, BDB sympathisers in the city, led by the military council headed by Ibrahim Ben Rajeb, have been trying to overthrow the municipal council and mayor Mohamed Eshtewi and install an authority opposed to both the Presidency Council (PC) and the Libyan National Army led by Khalifa Hafter.

RELATED POSTS

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

Following Qatari Elegancia’s contract: Audit Bureau stresses effective management of public funds, optimal use of management contracts‎

However, the ejection from Tripoli of the anti-PC Fakhr Libya coalition last month, the Brak airbase massacre ten days earlier (said to have been partly carried out by the BDB), plus the humiliating retreat by the former Third Force from Tamenhint and then from Jufra airbase have both broken the alliance with the Benghazi militants and enabled the moderates in Misrata to force the city’s hardliners into silence and acquiescence, at least for the time being.

In another sign that the noose is tightening around the BDB’s neck, the Ajdabiya office of the LNA’s anti-terrorism authority says that it seized a BDB camp near Sukna after the militants launched a car bomb attack injuring one of the authority’s members. As well as taking a number of BDB men prisoner, the operation resulted in 12 tanks and several armoured vehicles being captured as well as large quantities of ammunition.

Tags: BDBLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Sirte University and schools to be given LD 10 million to rebuild

Key Hafter adviser again in Moscow for discussions

Key Hafter adviser again in Moscow for discussions

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.