No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

BDB denies UN claim it is a “coalition of Islamist armed groups”

byNigel Ash
April 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Sharski (behind flag) with BDB militiamen (Photo-BDB)
BDB chief Mustafa Sharski (behind flag) pledging allegiance to Sheikh Sadek Ghariani last August (Photo: BDB)

Tunis, 19 April 2017:

The Benghazi Defence Brigades has refuted UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ claim to the Security Council that it is a “coalition of Islamist armed groups” and insisted t his statement was misleading and distorted the facts.

“We do not have any links or affiliations to any political, organisational or ideological parties inside or outside Libya” said the BDB in a statement carried by the Bushra News Agency on its social media site.

The BDB said in an open letter to Guterres that its past statements had been “clear, unambiguous and revealed our humanitarian goals and just demands.”

RELATED POSTS

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

It insisted that the BDB was made up of Revolutionary fighters and soldiers from Cyrenaica who were merely fighting to return to their homes in Benghazi

It said: “We united for the sake of lifting the injustice and oppression imposed on us by the militias of the war criminal Hafter.”

Guterres had this month described that BDB as an “Islamist coalition” in his half-yearly Security Council report when he mentioned that it had briefly seized Sidra and Ras Lanuf. He went on to note that after heavy air strikes the Libyan National Army (LNA) had retaken control of the two export terminals but more than 40 people, including some civilians, had been killed in the raids.

The BDB told Guterres “ We are also fighting terrorism in all its shapes and forms”. It claimed that the secretary-general had failed to note that after it had taken Sidra and Ras Lanuf, it had handed control of the terminals to the Petroleum Facilities Guard which was working with the internationally-recognised Presidency Council.

The BDB also said that Gueterres had ignored what it described as Hafter’s violation of human rights “including the murder of the elderly and women as well as unarmed young people in the streets of Benghazi without trial.”

In the BDB’s view Guterres’ report reflected “that some sides in the UN mission in Libya are supporting the war criminal Hafter and his coup project to impose a new dictator on Libya.”

It therefore refuted the idea that its fight against Hafter was that of an Islamist group against “the army”.

The BDB ended its letter insisting “ Our fight is for liberty, freedom and the safe return to our city with our displaced families”

The BDB is led by Mustafa Sharksi, a militia commander in Misrata during the Revolution. Its claim to have no affiliation is at odds with its declaration last year of loyalty to Sheikh Sadek Ghariani, head of Tripoli’s Dar Al-Ifta.

 

Tags: BDBfeaturedGuterresLibyaSharksiUN

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Black market dollar deals “haram” say eastern sharia officials

Black market dollar deals “haram” say eastern sharia officials

15 dead in local fighting says bullish Tarhouna council

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.