No Result
View All Result
Sunday, September 17, 2023
28 °c
Tripoli
28 ° Mon
28 ° Tue
29 ° Wed
30 ° Thu
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
 
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

BDB denies UN claim it is a “coalition of Islamist armed groups”

byNigel Ash
April 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
13
SHARES
55
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Libya Herald reporters.

Sharski (behind flag) with BDB militiamen (Photo-BDB)
BDB chief Mustafa Sharski (behind flag) pledging allegiance to Sheikh Sadek Ghariani last August (Photo: BDB)

Tunis, 19 April 2017:

The Benghazi Defence Brigades has refuted UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ claim to the Security Council that it is a “coalition of Islamist armed groups” and insisted t his statement was misleading and distorted the facts.

“We do not have any links or affiliations to any political, organisational or ideological parties inside or outside Libya” said the BDB in a statement carried by the Bushra News Agency on its social media site.

The BDB said in an open letter to Guterres that its past statements had been “clear, unambiguous and revealed our humanitarian goals and just demands.”

RELATED POSTS

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

It insisted that the BDB was made up of Revolutionary fighters and soldiers from Cyrenaica who were merely fighting to return to their homes in Benghazi

It said: “We united for the sake of lifting the injustice and oppression imposed on us by the militias of the war criminal Hafter.”

Guterres had this month described that BDB as an “Islamist coalition” in his half-yearly Security Council report when he mentioned that it had briefly seized Sidra and Ras Lanuf. He went on to note that after heavy air strikes the Libyan National Army (LNA) had retaken control of the two export terminals but more than 40 people, including some civilians, had been killed in the raids.

The BDB told Guterres “ We are also fighting terrorism in all its shapes and forms”. It claimed that the secretary-general had failed to note that after it had taken Sidra and Ras Lanuf, it had handed control of the terminals to the Petroleum Facilities Guard which was working with the internationally-recognised Presidency Council.

The BDB also said that Gueterres had ignored what it described as Hafter’s violation of human rights “including the murder of the elderly and women as well as unarmed young people in the streets of Benghazi without trial.”

In the BDB’s view Guterres’ report reflected “that some sides in the UN mission in Libya are supporting the war criminal Hafter and his coup project to impose a new dictator on Libya.”

It therefore refuted the idea that its fight against Hafter was that of an Islamist group against “the army”.

The BDB ended its letter insisting “ Our fight is for liberty, freedom and the safe return to our city with our displaced families”

The BDB is led by Mustafa Sharksi, a militia commander in Misrata during the Revolution. Its claim to have no affiliation is at odds with its declaration last year of loyalty to Sheikh Sadek Ghariani, head of Tripoli’s Dar Al-Ifta.

 

 
Tags: BDBfeaturedGuterresLibyaSharksiUN
Share5Tweet3Share1

Related Posts

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials
Libya

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

September 15, 2023
Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna
Libya

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

September 15, 2023
Tripoli and Hafter’s army working side-by-side – A roundup of the eastern rescue effort
Libya

Tripoli and Hafter’s army working side-by-side – A roundup of the eastern rescue effort

September 14, 2023
23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort
Libya

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

September 14, 2023
More than 5,300 dead and 10,000 missing in Derna disaster
Libya

More than 5,300 dead and 10,000 missing in Derna disaster

September 13, 2023
More than 2,000 dead and thousands missing after Storm Daniel hit eastern Libya
Libya

More than 2,000 dead and thousands missing after Storm Daniel hit eastern Libya

September 12, 2023
Next Post
Black market dollar deals “haram” say eastern sharia officials

Black market dollar deals “haram” say eastern sharia officials

15 dead in local fighting says bullish Tarhouna council

 

Advertise on LibyaHerald

Reach thousands of our site visitors daily

240 x 400px

Advertise Here
ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • More than 5,300 dead and 10,000 missing in Derna disaster

    More than 5,300 dead and 10,000 missing in Derna disaster

    294 shares
    Share 130 Tweet 69
  • Libya hit by storm Daniel with eastern region suffering worse damage

    272 shares
    Share 123 Tweet 62
  • More than 2,000 dead and thousands missing after Storm Daniel hit eastern Libya

    190 shares
    Share 87 Tweet 43
  • 23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

    157 shares
    Share 63 Tweet 39
  • Tripoli and Hafter’s army working side-by-side – A roundup of the eastern rescue effort

    143 shares
    Share 57 Tweet 36
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Cart
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign In with Facebook
    Sign In with Linked In
    OR

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Sign Up with Facebook
    Sign Up with Linked In
    OR

    Fill the forms bellow to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
    Are you sure want to unlock this post?
    Unlock left : 0
    Are you sure want to cancel subscription?