No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj damns Ganfouda abuses: his Busetta HQ reported attacked

byNigel Ash
March 20, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Serraj damns Ganfouda abuses: his Busetta HQ reported attacked

A tired and tense-looking Faiez Serraj on TV today (Photo: social media)

By Jamie Prentis.

A tired and tense-looking Faiez Serraj on TV today (Photo: social media)
A tired and tense-looking Faiez Serraj on TV today (Photo:Social media)

Tunis, 19 March 2017:

Confusion surrounds events at the Presidency Council’s Busetta naval base HQ this afternoon. There were reports the compound had been raided by a militia and PC chairman Faiez Serraj had been forced to broadcast a statement condemning the treatment of dead militants in Ganfouda, as well as muting his condemnation of Friday’s attack  by gunmen on pro-Hafter demonstrators in Martyrs’ Square.

In any event, a tired-looking Serraj spoke to camera damning the behaviour of victorious Libyan National Army troops in Ganfouda. He also echoed last night’s statement from Misrata protesting that freedom of speech did not mean people could foster strife and division.

He  denounced the anti-Misratan slogans shouted during the demonstrations in Martyrs Square two days ago. Whilst freedom of expression was integral and the shooting on protestors abhorrent, he said that this did not mean inciting hatred between cities was acceptable.

RELATED POSTS

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

Following Qatari Elegancia’s contract: Audit Bureau stresses effective management of public funds, optimal use of management contracts‎

He warned that demonstrations could not be used to bring back the old days of repression, tyranny and dictatorship. In an apparent reference to Hafter’s vow to “liberate” Tripoli and demand for all militias to quit the capital, he said that Libya could not return to being under the rule of one man. He also insisted that the armed forces should be unified and under civilian command.

This morning, the Misratans said that they would have nothing more to do with the PC until it condemned the anti-Misratan chants of the Martyrs’ Square demonstrators on Friday. Serraj obliged, insisting that turning one city against another was a betrayal of the principles of the 17 February Revolution.

It remains unclear if Serraj made his speech as a result of coercion. There had been reports that the Al-Buni militia from Suq Al-Juma had stormed the Busetta naval base. At one point in the day, the naval base was also said to have been blockaded by angry demonstrators but accompanying photos showed merely a handful of people with a couple of technicals.

Serraj did, however, cancel his appearance tomorrow at the EU Rome conference on the control of migration from Libya.

The State Council met today under the chairmanship of Abdulrahman Sewehli and also condemned the “brutal criminal acts” that had occurred in Ganfouda. It urged the UN and international organisations to investigate the “human rights violations and war crimes” committed by Hafter’s Operation Dignity forces.

Thus far foreign diplomats have remained silent over the apparent war crimes in Ganfouda and leading international human rights organisations such as Human Rights Watch have not yet commented.

Tags: Bu SittafeaturedGanfoudaLibyaMisrataPCSerraj

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
NOC confident of again controlling Oil Crescent export terminals

NOC confident of again controlling Oil Crescent export terminals

Italian embassy to re-start issuing visas

Italian embassy to re-start issuing visas

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.