No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Public contradictions between Ministers Aoun and Hwej on Libyan-Turkish MoU signing

bySami Zaptia
October 4, 2022
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Public contradictions between Ministers Aoun and Hwej on Libyan-Turkish MoU signing

Oil and Gas Minister Mohamed Aoun and Economy and Trade Minister Mohamed Hwej publicly contradicted each other over the signing of the Libyan-Turkish MoU yesterday (Photo: WTV).

Oil and Gas Minister Mohamed Aoun and Economy and Trade Minister Mohamed Hwej contradicted each other publicly yesterday over the appointment of Hwej as temporary acting Oil and Gas Minister during the Turkish delegation’s Tripoli visit yesterday.

In recorded media clips, Aoun said he was ‘‘surprised’’ by the appointment of Hwej as his replacement during his official trip to South Africa. He claimed this was ”unprecedented” and usually happens only during holidays. However, he said he was informed of the appointment.

Aoun has reservations on some parts of the MoU
Aoun did stress he did not object to the signing of the MoU with Turkey, even though he had some ”reservations” on the MoU. He said the appointment of Hwej may be because of his objections to some sections of the MoU.

Conspiracy theories?
Aoun’s revelation that he had some reservations on the oil and gas section of the multi-sector MoU set the questioning and conspiratorial traditional and social medias into a spiral. Was Aoun sent away and was the MoU signed specifically when Aoun was away? Was Turkey taking advantage of a weak Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba government and a weak Libya?

On the other hand, in his released video clip, Hwej, said it was normal protocol for a Minister and not a Deputy Minister to meet a visiting Minister. He said Aoun had been informed of the purely procedural move and had been aware of and approved the MoU.

RELATED POSTS

Turkish institutions ready to contribute to implementation of joint Libyan marine sector projects: Turkish Ambassador Güven Beginç

Launch of Libyan-Turkish Business Forum for Building Materials and Construction Supplies in Benghazi

MoU v Binding agreement
Hwej stressed that what was signed with Turkey yesterday was purely a non-binding MoU which either party could annul within months. He stressed nothing was given away to Turkey in the MoU.

The Aoun v Hwej story completely distracted from the signing of the Libyan-Turkish MoU, which raises the question of whether it was a premeditated distraction, and by whom and for what reason. The reaction also highlights the sensitivities to Turkish intervention in Libya.

Tags: economy minister Mohamed Hwej GNUMOUOil Minister Mohamed Aoun GNUTurkey Turkish

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libya and Turkey sign multi sector MoU, prepare for launch of strategic projects

Libya and Turkey sign multi sector MoU, prepare for launch of strategic projects

Central Bank of Libya’s El-Kaber and Hibri meet – launch bank’s unification process

The CBL Tripoli v CBL Benghazi battle continues: CBL Benghazi adjusts exchange rate to LD 4.25/dollar, CBL Tripoli refuses the devaluation and keeps rate at LD 5.2/dollar

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.