No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LPDF agrees roadmap for national unity government and elections

byMichel Cousins
November 12, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tunis, 12 November 2020:

Delegates to the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum which started in Tunis on 9 November have approved the roadmap drawn up by UNSMIL which will create a new interim three-person Presidency Council (PC) and Government of National Unity (GNU) and result in elections within 18 months based on an approved constitutional process.

In upbeat mood at a press conference in Tunis last night UN special envoy Stephanie Williams hailed the development as a “breakthrough”.

RELATED POSTS

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Earlier the same day, a number of Libyan political activists and observers gathered near the Four Seasons Hotel where the forum is taking place, had questioned whether the draft would be easily approved and suggested that it faced significant opposition.

The roadmap approved is essentially the draft National Political Programme Document presented by UNSMIL to the 75 delegates, but with some slight amendments according to Williams. These had been drafted by an 11-person team that included lawyers and women, she explained.

She did not say what the amendments were.

However, it is known that under the roadmap as agreed, not only would there be elections based on an agreed constitutional framework within 18 months of the new PC and GNU taking office, Libya’s institutions would also be reunited and there would be moves to ensure national reconciliation, transitional justice and the return of displaced people.

Human rights were also central to the talks, she added.

She strongly condemned the killing on 10 November of Benghazi lawyer and activist Hanan Al-Barasi and demanded a thorough investigation. The perpetrators had to be brought to account. The assassination made the work of the LPDF all the more important, she said, adding that there had to be justice for the murdered lawyer.

She also attacked disinformation campaigns on social media targeting the LPDF and the Joint Military Commission (JMC) which was still meeting today in Sirte.

The LPDF had now moved on to discussing the powers and competencies of the new PC and the Government of National Unity, Williams said. Discussions on the issue would continue during Thursday.

It is widely expected among LPDF observers that the delegates will opt to hand far more powers to the prime minister than to the president.

So far, she added, no one so far had publicly suggested names for the four posts.

It is reported that this part of the forum will be left to last. But it is also said that this will be the most difficult part of the process. Williams herself said that there was still much work to be done by the LPDF. She also said that there were people who did not want change and who wanted to obstruct what was being achieved at the forum.  However, the delegates were positive and constructive, she said.

There was “a real momentum” at the talks, she said, adding that she was confident that the participants would “do as much as they can” to move things forward in the face-to-face meeting.

Turning to the work of the JMC currently meeting in Sirte, Williams said that a sub-committee had discussed security arrangements for the demilitarised town and that a separate subcommittee would today look at the process of  withdrawal by the various forces in the demilitarised zone.

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

2,870 unit Tripoli Smart Youth Housing City project discussed

Hay Andalus Municipality proposes 148 housing unit project

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.