No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Finance delaying constitution referendum

bySami Zaptia
January 9, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Finance delaying constitution referendum

HNEC's head Sayeh updated the HoR Monday on preparations for the constitutional referendum (Logo: HNEC).

By Sami Zaptia.

HNEC's head Sayeh updated the HoR Monday on preparations for the constitutional referendum (Logo: HNEC).
HNEC’s head Sayeh updated the HoR Monday on preparations for the constitutional referendum (Logo: HNEC).

London, 9 January 2019:

The delay by the Faiez Serraj Tripoli government in providing the needed finances is the reason for the High National Election Commission’s (HNEC) failure to announce a date for the constitution referendum.

The revelation was made by prominent House of Representatives (HoR) member for Zintan and Dialogue Committee member Abdulsalam Nasia.

The revelation came after HNEC head Emad Al-Sayeh had travelled to Tobruk on Monday to update HoR head Ageela Saleh and HoR members on his progress in preparatons for holding the referendum.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba and Menfi stress use of polling feedback to establish consensus basis for constitutional process: report and analysis

228 Municipal Elections candidates being pursued for criminal incidents: Attorney General’s Office

Nasia reported that Al-Sayeh had said that preparations were “90 percent ready”.

In its offocial statement on the meeting, howevet, HNEC would only say that Sayeh reported to the HoR on “preparations for the referendum on the draft constitution, as well as the difficulties and obstacles facing HNEC in the implementation of this entitlement.”

It will be recalled that the HoR had officially handed over the 45-article Referendum Law (Law No.6) to HNEC on 29 November 2018.

On 6 December last year HNEC announced that it had commenced the process of holding the constitutionally required referendum on the country’s draft permanent constitution.

At a press conference at HNEC’s Tripoli headquarters Al-Sayeh had announced that preparations could take up to the middle of January and that the referendum could take place by the end of that month.

Sayeh had stressed that the judiciary’s role in the referendum process would come into play especially if the public reject the draft permanent constitution.

He had explained that the reasons for this rejection would have to be compiled and presented to the Constitutional Drafting Authority (CDA). This would be a major task, Al-Sayeh had added.

Sayeh had reiterated that HNEC had set four preconditions for holding the referendum: political agreement; a referendum law; financial backing and security.

On finance, Al-Sayeh revealed that HNEC was in debt at the time by half a million dinars and was awaiting its 2018 Q4 LD 800,000 allocation from the Serraj administration.

He confirmed that that HNEC had requested LD 40 million from the Faiez Serraj Presidency Council and Government of National Accord.

Sayeh had explained that a “no” result in the referendum would require the use of a large number of staff and that there will be 2,000 polling stations used – up from the 1,500 used in previous elections.

Al-Sayeh said that he would need security guarantees across the country for locations, polling stations and staff prior to going ahead with the referendum.

If most of these conditions were met by the middle of January, HNEC would, in discussion with the HoR, announce a late February date for holding the referendum, Sayeh said.

Al-Sayeh said that this timeframe should allow other organizations such as the media and NGOs to engage in voter awareness.

“If” the majority of the Libyan public rejected the constitution, Al-Sayeh hoped that that rejection would be based on an informed decision and that they are clear on the precise articles of the constituion that they oppose.

He said that voter registration would be opened in mid-January for a short two-week period in order to top-up the voter register since it was last opened.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/12/06/hnec-commences-permanent-constitution-referendum-process/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/29/hor-hands-constitution-referendum-law-to-hnec/

 

 

 

 

Tags: Abdulsalam NasiaconstitutionfeaturedHNEC head Emad Al-SayehHNEC High National Elections CommissionreferendumZintan HoR member Abdualslam Nasia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Serraj determined to progress with "security arrangements"

Rumours are a danger to social cohesion: Serraj government

Rumours are a danger to social cohesion: Serraj government

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.