No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj condemns indiscriminate attack on Mitiga airport

bySami Zaptia
April 24, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Mohamed Sallak, the spokesperson for the head of the PC, Faiez Serraj said the 2018 budget had been referred to the CBL and Audit Bureau last week and expects to be ready this week (Photo: Presidency Council).
Mohamed Sallak, the spokesperson for the head of the PC, Faiez Serraj said that Serraj condemned last week’s attack on Mitiga airport (Photo: Presidency Council).

London, 24 April 2018:

Faiez Serraj, head of the Presidential Council condemned last week’s attack on the Mitiga airport and vowed to pursue the those responsible.

The condemnation came through his personal spokesperson Mohamed El-Sallak at yesterday’s press conference. Serraj had also condemned the indiscriminate firing of missiles that had endangered the lives of civilians and damaged state property. Unconfirmed Libyan media reports had said one aircraft suffered some damage.

Sallak added that the Serraj holds those armed elements that commit such acts fully responsible and warns them that they will be criminally prosecuted, domestically and internationally.

RELATED POSTS

Mitiga Airport Customs foil attempt to smuggle 495,000 Euros to Istanbul

After a ten-year hiatus: Royal Jordanian resumes flights to Tripoli

Sallak reported that proceedings had already begun and a committee of the Ministries of Justice and the Interior had been established in cooperation with the Attorney-General’s Office which will work to deal with this matter ‘‘resolutely and with all available means’’.

Serraj’s personal spokesperson did not name any militia or militia leader, however speculation puts the blame for the attack on Bashir Khalfalla ”al-Bugra”  (”the cow”) and his 33rd Infantry Brigade.

Bugra, from Misrata, is known to support form Libya Dawn “prime minister” Khalifa Ghwell, the Libyan Fighting Group, and to be deeply opposed to both Rada and Haithem Tajouri. His forces, though, have some support in Suq Al-Juma and Tajoura.

It will be recalled that on 15 January the Faiez Serraj led Presidency Council (PC) was forced to declare a local state of emergency around Tripoli’s Mitiga airport after a coalition of militias aligned to it successfully repelled an attack on the airport compound.

The attack was carried out by about 50 armed vehicles of the 33rd Infantry Brigade. The 33rd Infantry Brigade was a militia recognised by the PC’s Ministry of Defence.

They were seeking to free some prisoners from the jail housed within the Mitiga compound. The prisoners are currently detained by the pro-PC Rada (Special Deterrence Force), which controls the area around Mitiga and the airport itself.

Bugra’s militia had been pushed back to the outskirts of Tajoura where they were being pursued. Rada spokesman Ahmed Ben Salem had told Libya Herald that three planes had been damaged. Some homes near the airport also sustained damage.

In a statement at the time, the PC had decried the attack and said it was an attempt to release ‘‘terrorists…such as IS and Al-Qaeda and others’’ from detention. The others could include members of the BDB and Benghazi Shura Council. They had criticised spoiler efforts to endanger the stability of Tripoli and the Libyan political transition process. The PC had applauded the cohesion of the forces supporting it in responding to the threat by the Bugra militia.

Bugra, who receives backing from Tajoura, is known to support former Libya Dawn “prime minister” Khalifa Ghwell and the former LFG, and to be deeply opposed to both Rada and Haithem Tajuri. In December, Bugra launched a similar attack on Mitiga, albeit with minimal casualties.

In a later decree, the PC announced that it had dissolved Bugra’s 33rd Infantry Brigade and ordered all its equipment and ammunition be transfered to the General Staff.

In October 2017, Mitiga airport was briefly closed after clashes between Rada and armed youth from the Ghararat area of Suq Al-Juma.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/01/15/pc-declares-local-state-of-emergency-as-maetiga-airport-is-attacked-by-pro-terrorist-militia/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/01/23/rada-arrests-61-connected-with-mitiga-airport-attack/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/02/02/sharp-rise-in-civilian-casualties-across-libya-in-january-unsmil-report/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/12/13/clashes-outside-mitiga-but-flights-unaffected/

Tags: Bashir Khalfalla Bugra 33rd Infantry Brigadeofficial spokesperson Mohamed El SallakTripoli’s Mitiga airport

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Hafter to return to Libya tomorrow: LNA source

Serraj creates committee to help externally displaced Libyans return home

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.