No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Civil rights lawyers to press ICC to probe Khalifa Hafter over war crimes

byNigel Ash
November 13, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

The Internationai Criminal Court in the Hague (File photo)
The Internationai Criminal Court in the Hague (File photo)

Tunis, 13 November 2017:

European civil rights lawyers acting on behalf of alleged victims in Libya will tomorrow demand the International Criminal Court (ICC) consider prosecuting armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter.

The UK-based  Guernica 37 International Justice Chambers has taken legal steps to press ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda to launch an investigation into Hafter’s ultimate responsibility for the actions of troops he commands.

“Hundreds of civilians have been deliberately targeted by those forces resulting in their murder, torture, and displacement” said Guernica 37 ahead of the press conference it plans tomorrow in the Hague which is the home to the ICC .

RELATED POSTS

Libyan national Khaled El Hishri wanted for crimes against humanity and war crimes surrendered by Germany to the custody of the International Criminal Court  

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

The law firm told the Libya Herald:  “We are acting on behalf of a number of  victims. We cannot of course disclose their identities but we can confirm that we are acting on behalf of a number of direct victims (victims of actual attacks) and indirect victims (persons whose family members disappeared or were killed”).

Guernica 37, named after the Spanish Civil War bombing of the Basque town of Guernica in 1937 which killed hundreds of civilians, is making a preliminary filing against Hafter. If Bensouda considers there is a reasonable basis to proceed with an investigation, under Article 15 of the ICC’s founding document, the Rome Statute, she will ask the Pre-Trial Chamber to authorise an investigation.

The ICC has this year issued a warrant for the arrest of Saiqa Special Forces major Mahmoud Warfali in connection with the filmed murder of 33 bound prisoners. Saiqa Special Forces is a Libyan National Army unit under the ultimate command of Hafter.

Tags: Fatou BensoudafeaturedGuernica 37 International Justice ChambersInternational Criminal CourtKhalifa HafterLibyaMahmoud Warfaliwar crimes

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Zintan airport expansion makes fast progress

Zintan airport expansion makes fast progress

Two more innocent deaths in Benghazi

Two more innocent deaths in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.