No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter in Tunis in new diplomatic initiative

byMichel Cousins
September 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hafter in Tunis in new diplomatic initiative

zxc

By Hadi Fornaji:

zxc
Hafter with Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi today (Photo: Présidence Tunisie)

Tunis, 18 September 2017:

The head of the Libyan National Army, Khalifa Hafter, arrived in Tunis last night to take part in a fresh diplomatic initiative to solve the Libyan crisis.

This morning, in keeping diplomatic protocol, he first met Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi for talks on the situation in Libya. Insisting that Tunisia would not take one side or another in Libya, Essebsi urged Hafter to focus on dialogue and reconciliation as the means to a workable settlement.

Libyan officials had said, however, that the real reason for his visit was talks in the Tunisian capital with the US ambassador to Libya, Peter Bodde.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Minister Hwej meets high-level African Union delegation – sustainable development and alignment of national programmes with goals of Agenda 2063 discussed

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

On Saturday, Bodde had extensive talks in Tunis with Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj on the current political situation. They reportedly lasted five hours. In a bid to break the stalemate Washington is said to putting pressure on both men to continue with the deal they agreed in Paris in July .

On Saturday, Hafter was in Brazzaville for talks with Congolese President Denis Sassou Nguesso on the Libyan conflict. As head of the African Union’s High Level Committee on Libya, Nguesso had invited Hafter to AU summit on Libya nine days ago, along with Serraj, House of Representatives President Ageela Saleh and State Council head Abdulrahman Sewehli. Nguesso had hoped that with all the main political players present, he would be able to build on the Paris deal. However, Hafter did not accept the invitation. His Saturday visit to Brazzaville is seen as a diplomatic move to mollify Nguesso and the AU, having effectively dashed their aims.

asd
Hafter with Congolese President Denis Sassou Nguesso (Photo: Hafter Facebook page)

As part of his travels, Hafter was said to be heading to Rome tomorrow for talks with the Italian government. He was invited by Italian interior minister Marco Minniti during talks between the two in Benghazi ten days ago. However, reports in Benghazi this eveningsay that he will return to Benghazi before going to Italy.

The Rome visit could see the construction of a new relationship between Italy and the east of Libya although it comes against the background of continued criticism by Hafter of Italian and western action on Libya and suspicions that Italy is wholly allied to the PC.

Last month, he threatened to attack Italian navy vessels in Libyan waters following Rome’s deal with Serraj allowing them in. Over the weekend, he was still dismissive of Western intentions in regard to Libya.  Speaking to the press in Brazzaville after his meeting with Nguesso, he again accused Western counties of intervening in Libya “only for their own interest and not the interest of our country”.

Tags: African UnionBrazzavilleCongoDenis Sassou NguessofeaturedItalyKhalfa HafterLibyaPeter BoddeTunisiaUSE

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
After Ghadames, Thinni heads to Derj, Zintan and Awiniya

After Ghadames, Thinni heads to Derj, Zintan and Awiniya

Tajouri says no to pro-Igtet rally in Tripoli; Igtet warns back

Tajouri says no to pro-Igtet rally in Tripoli; Igtet warns back

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.