No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Brazzaville AU Libyan mini-summit breaks no new ground

byNigel Ash
September 10, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Brazzaville AU Libyan mini-summit breaks no new ground

Congo-Brazzaville’s president Denis Sassou Nguesso with his Libya guests (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Congo-Brazzaville’s president Denis Sassou Nguesso with his Libya guests (Photo: social media)
Congo-Brazzaville’s president Denis Sassou Nguesso with his Libya guests (Photo: social media)

Tunis, 9 September 2017:

Today’s  African Union (AU) mini-summit on Libya in Brazzaville made no progress but simply heard a reprise of rival positions, while no one could hear from Khalifa Hafter who had declined to attend.

The Skirhat agreement was forced through by the-then UNSMIL chief Bernadino Leon who  was biased toward one party said House of Representatives (HoR) president Ageela Saleh.

Leon had failed in his duty by not acknowledging that the Libyan people had already made a choice in the HoR,  said Saleh. He went on to complain that while the international community acknowledged the legitimacy of the parliament, it did not recognise the standing of the government that that parliament had appointed.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba instructs CBL to terminate Arkenu Oil Company’s oil sales agreement

PM Aldabaiba reopens Tripoli Zoo after a 17-year closure: a symbolic turnaround for the Zoo – from a militia military base back to a leading recreation destination

Political Islam has been at the heart of Libya’s problems since the Revolution, said Saleh .

Referring to the former parliament, the General National Congress, Saleh said that political Islam had been responsible for unjust legislation including the Political Isolation Law. This banned from public office for ten years anyone who had served the Qaddafi regime in any senior capacity.

Saleh continued that after Islamists did badly in the election for the new HoR they had refused to hand over power, formed Libya Dawn militias who seized government institutions and destroyed vital installations such as Tripoli International airport.

Having condemned the way in which the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA) had been forced through, Saleh then set out the amendments to it that he believed necessary. The key change should be to  Article 8 which moved control of the armed forces from parliament to the Presidency Council (PC). He also insisted that membership of the State Council should be confined to those former members of the GNC who had been elected on 7 July 2012. Sticking to this part of the LPA would,  he said, avoid marginalising any particular region or group.

He said that the LPA required that the Government of National Accord (GNA) proposed by the PC had to be agreed by the HoR. The parliament had twice rejected proposed cabinets.

Saleh continued that the future could only be decided by Libyans talking to Libyans. There   should be no outside interference. Before his speech Saleh had had a meeting with the new UNSMIL head, Ghassan Salamé.

As Saleh went though the well-rehearsed HoR case, PC chief Faiez Serraj and State Council head Abdulrahman Sewehli looked on. But the absence of Khalifa Hafter, who declined the AU’s invitation, robbed the mini-summit of any chance of a breakthrough, capitalising on  Serraj-Hafter accord in Paris. There is talk of another meeting in the AU’s Addis Ababa headquarters this December, to which it is hoped Hafter will come this time.

Serraj’s presentation echoed his two-hour TV broadcast on Friday. He said that because it had been set up in accordance with the LPA, the PC and its GNA were not party to the conflict in Libya. Rather they were a contributor to the solution.

He blamed the blockage in the political process of the HoR and its unjustified inability to adopt amendments to the LPA . There was an opportunity, he said, for everyone to contribute to building a democratic, civil state which he stressed should have  separation of powers. Power would be transferred peacefully and the military subordinated to civilian authority.

He said that elections should be held next year and added that he believed that the head of state should be elected directly by the people. He did not refer to the document produced by the Constitution Drafting Assembly nor speculate on the timing of the referendum needed on the new constitution and how such a vote might affect the general election.

Congo-Brazzaville’s president Denis Sassou Nguesso who heads the AU’s High Level Committee on Libya perhaps recognised the limitations of the meeting he hosted today. When it came time for the official photographs, Nguesso did not push his Libyan guests forward. Instead he stood at the front with fellow committee members while Serraj could just been seen, in dark glasses, peeping over his shoulder and the diminutive Saleh could hardly be spotted at all.

Tags: aU.SerrajBrazzavilleCongo-Brazzaville’s president Denis Sassou NguessofeaturedHafterLibyaSewehli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Benghazi militants still holding out two months after Hafter's victory speech

New UNSMIL chief poised to reveal his plan

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.