No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Another Benghazi police station attacked by “military” unit

byMichel Cousins
June 5, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Fuwayhat police station
Fuwayhat police station yesterday (Photo: LH source)

Benghazi, 4 June 2017:

A policeman is reported to have been injured in Fuwayhat police station in Benghazi when it was raided yesterday in an attempt to free a prisoner.

There have been claims that rogue elements within Saiqa Special Forces were responsible for the incident, reportedly aimed at freeing an arrested friend.

Officials have privately confirmed the raid, disclosing that the attackers wore military uniforms and had a vehicle with a Saiqa logo. However, they have denied reports that anyone was killed or that prisoners were freed. On the contrary, they said, the police station had called the emergency response unit, the najdah, which had come and, amid shooting, forced the attackers to flee.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Last month, it was claimed that rogue Saiqa members were also responsible when the police station in the city’s Birkah district was attacked and a policeman Captain Musa Yunis Al-Majbri, killed.

However, the claim was denied by the brigade which said that what had happened was part a private grudge; Saiqa had had no official involvement.

Talk of a growing feud between the army and the police in Benghazi was also dismissed.

In this latest instance, Colonel Salah Huwaidi, head of the Criminal Investigation Department in the Benghazi Security Directorate, has similarly said that those who attacked the Fuwayhat station had nothing to do with the armed forces. He said he had contacted senior army officials who had denounced the attacks and praised the efforts of the security and police forces.

At a meeting last night in Benghazi, Huwaidi  announced that the security directorate was planning a force to protect security institutions and police stations from any similar future attacks. The Libyan armed forces, he added, has said they would support the police to maintain law and order.

He stressed that any differences that might have been between the armed forces and the police had now been resolved.

So far, there has been no news from the investigation launched into the Birkah attack.

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post
AU delegation wraps up its Libya visits with Hafter meeting

AU delegation wraps up its Libya visits with Hafter meeting

PC appoints military commanders

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.