No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misratan representatives visit Moscow; next stop Grozny

byMichel Cousins
April 20, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Misratan representatives visit Moscow; next stop Grozny

By Libya Herald reporters.

fla-1132x670
Russian deputy ambassador to the UN Vladimir Safronkov tells Security Council that Khalifa Hafter’s  LNA must be the nucleus of a new Libya  army (Photo: Social media)

Misrata/Tunis, 19 April 2017:

A mainly military Misratan delegation has been having talks in Moscow with top Russian defence and foreign ministry officials as well as members of the Russian parliament, the Duma, as the Kremlin continues its own efforts to broker peace in Libya.

Led by Abdulhamid Al-Dubaiba who has long had close links to the Russians, the delegation includes the city’s military council leader, Ibrahim Ben Rajeb, as well as the Bunyan Marsous-appointed Sirte military governor, Ahmed Abu Shahma, Tripoli defence ministry spokesman Mohamed Al-Ghasri plus Bunyan Marsous commander Mohamed Essa and Yousef Ben Yousef, the former head of Misrata local council.

It is as politically diverse a delegation as could be imagined. While Ben Rajeb is seen as an Islamist deeply opposed to the former regime and is currently trying to bring down Misrata’s democratically-elected municipal council, Dubaiba was closely involved with the Qaddafi regime, at on time running the Libyan Investment and Development Company. His cousin, Ali Dubaiba, was even closer to the regime, being a close confident of Qaddafi and head of ODAC (Organisation for Development of Administrative Centres). For his part, Ghasri is regarded as a supporter of the Presidency Council, which Ben Rajeb abhors.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

Although there has been no confirmation from either side, sources in Misrata say that the delegation first met yesterday with leading officials from the Russian defence ministry before having talks with deputy foreign minister Mikhail Bogdanov.

The delegation, which flew to the Russian capital on a private jet, is expected to head south to the Chechen capital of Grozny tomorrow, Thursday, to meet Chechnya’s President Ramzan Kadyrov. He is said to have invited them to Russia in the first place.

According to a statement by Russia’s foreign ministry, Bogdanov told the Misratan delegation that Moscow wanted to work together with all of Libya’s parties to find “mutually acceptable solutions to restore the country’s unity”.

This had to come via inclusive “intra-Libyan dialogue with the main political forces, tribes and regions towards creating national bodies of authority, including an army and police to maintain security, law and order and effectively fight terrorism,” the statement insisted.

UN-led efforts promote reconciliation were also one of the main items of the discussions.

Although Russia has been seen as one of Hafter’s main allies and international supporters, Bogdanov offered Russian help to rebuild Libyan stability in talks with Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj three weeks ago in Amman and a four weeks earlier in Moscow.

How successful the Russians were in persuading the Misratan delegation to accept dialogue with the Libyan National Army and Khalifa Hafter is not clear. Mohamed Essa is reported to have embarked on a bitter public attack on Hafter during a press conference in Moscow.

However, Russia’s deputy envoy to the UN, Vladimir Safronkov, today told the UN security council that Khalifa Hafter’s forces should be “the nucleus of the Libyan armed forces in the future.” It was crucial that Hafter and the LNA not be marginalised, he said.

That said, the fate of Libya had to be decided by its people via dialogue Safronkov added. International attention had to focus on Libya, he insisted, and focus on working with all political parties, he said. There was no alternative.

mrwe
Mohamed Essa lashes out at Hafter in a Moscow press conference. The Russians had been expecting Misrata Mayor Mohamed Eshtewi to attend (Photo: Social media)

Meanwhile, in a separate Libya development in Moscow, the foreign ministry has said that it is working to secure the release of Russian sailors held in Tripoli and the return of the bulk carrier MV Merle, arrested off Zawia last month.

According to spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, top Russian foreign ministry officials have met with Serra to press the issue, but that so far there had been no movement on the Libyan side other than the fact that the sailors’ detention was extended by a courts on 3 April for a further month at the request of the public prosecutor.

The vessel is currently being held at Tripoli.

Tags: ChechnyafeaturedLibyaRussia

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Al-Ahly Benghazi celebrates its 70th birthday

Al-Ahly Benghazi celebrates its 70th birthday

Militants bring down another Benghazi bridge say LNA sources

Militants bring down another Benghazi bridge say LNA sources

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.