No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Chechen leader urges Misratan Moscow visitors to help release Russian sailors

byNigel Ash
April 23, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Chechen leader urges Misratan Moscow visitors to help release Russian sailors

Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov (Photo: RT.com)

By Jamie Prentis.

Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov (Photo: RT.com)
Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov (Photo: RT.com)

Tunis, 22 April 2017:

Chechen leader urges MIsratan delegation to Moscow to help release Russian sailors seized off Libya last month

Ramzan Kadyrov, the controversial leader of Russia’s Chechyna province has revealed he pressed a Misratan delegation visiting Moscow  for the urgent release a Russian merchant vessel seized off Libya’s coast last month.

Kadyrov described the reasons for the Russian sailors seizure as “far-fetched”.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

The seven crew members of the Merle were arrested off Zawia on 5 March by the Libyan coastguard and they and their vessel have been taken to Tripoli.

On his Instagram page, Kadyrov said he had received assurances that every step was being taken to free the sailors. However, he revealed that it had not been fully explained why they had been taken.

“We are actively engaged in the fate of the sailors and will not rest until they can return home,” Kadyrov added.

The Russian cargo vessel Merle held in Tripoli (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)
The detained  Russian cargo vessel Merle held in Tripoli (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)

Russian news agency TASS has reported that the vessel is owned by the MT Group, a St Petersburg-based conglomerate which includes property and marine technology on its web site. It does not mention the operation of any cargo vessels.

Kadyrov accused the United States and its “allies” of provoking Libya’s current “civil war” under “the guise of democracy.” He said the Libyan visitors had updated on the current situation.

The Misratan team was led by Abdulhamid Al-Dubaiba who has long had close links to Russiaa. It also included the city’s military council leader, Ibrahim Ben Rajeb, as well as the Bunyan Marsous-appointed Sirte military governor, Ahmed Abu Shahma, Tripoli defence ministry spokesman Mohamed Al-Ghasri plus Bunyan Marsous commander Mohamed Essa and Yousef Ben Yousef, the former head of Misrata local council.

The mainly Misratan delegation also held talks in Moscow with Russian defence and foreign ministry officials and its parliament.

 

Tags: featuredLibyaMerleMisrataMoscowRamzan KadyrovRussiaTripoli

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Saleh/Sewehli Rome talks praised

Saleh/Sewehli Rome talks praised

Benghazi mortar round kills two and injures one

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.