No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA admits it does not know why one of its Mi-35s crashed yesterday

byNigel Ash
February 12, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
LNA admits it does not know why one of its Mi-35s crashed yesterday

Colonoel Moanem Eldrisi, said t have been piloting the downed chopper (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Colonel Mumin Al-Drissi pilot of the downed chopper (Photo: social media)
Colonel Mumin Al-Drissi pilot of the downed Mi-35 (Photo: social media)

Benghazi, 11 February 2017:

It is still unclear how an Libyan National Army Mi-35 heliopter came to crash south of Sirte yesterday. The army, which initially insisted a technical fault had been responsible, today admitted at a Benghazi press conference that it simply did not know.

The downing of the Russian-built chopper was claimed by a Benghazi Defence Brigade column. The LNA said that it had conducted nine strikes against this formation as it headed toward the Mabrouk oilfield. It claimed five militants had been killed and 20 injured.

Poor quality footage released by Khalifa Ghwell’s Foreign Media Department in Tripoli, begins with some type of aircraft clearly in trouble with smoke coming from it.  The height is hard to gauge but it is heading toward the camera, which breaks away to film an armed man running and shouting happily.  The lens then returns to a spot a kilometre or more away where a plume of smoke is rising from an explosion.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A screen grab showing the billowing smoke where the Mi-35 crashed
A screen grab showing the billowing smoke where the Mi-35 crashed

A later sequence shows one charred corpse in crewman uniform and the body of another crewman who appeared to have been thrown clear but suffered catastrophic injuries to the front of his head. There were no shots of a third body.

The pilot is known to have have been Colonel Mumin Al-Drissi but there are reports that the other two crewmen were members of his family, technical airman Ibrahim Al-Drissi and Corporal Elmabruk Al-Drissi.

The wreckage was still burning when the BDB cameraman reached it. One shot showed a blackened circular rocket launcher slightly away from the main crash site.

It is known that on at least one occasion, a rocket exploded prematurely when fired from an LNA aircraft.

Tags: Benghazi Defence BrigadefeaturedLibyaLNAMabrouk oil fieldMi-35Mumin Al-Drissi

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Washington alarmed at new military formation in Tripoli

I will meet HoR, latest oil production is between 680-700,000 bpd: NOC chairman Sanalla

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.