No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Janzour schools closed by fighting

byNigel Ash
February 5, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 4 February 2017:

Random shelling in Janzour, 25 km northwest of Tripoli, has led to the closure of all schools in the area for two days its municipality said this evening.

Two days of fighting between neighbouring Wirshefana militias and Fursan Janzour Brigade (Janzour Knights) spiked yesterday when the Wirshefana approached the northern border of Janzour.

“After consultations with the related security boards,” said the municipality, “we have decided to close schools for the next two days, in order to save the lives of our children” adding that if the danger did not diminish, the school closures might be extended.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Fursan Janzour Brigade spokesman Ahmed Abduljalil told Alnabaa TV it is in control of the front lines, but still suffered from missiles that were also worrying residents.

Abduljalil said the the clashes had broken out after “One of our check points, near an area known as Bridge 17, was fired on three days ago. The patrol had to reply against the source and since then the situation has escalated”.

Residents in Janzour say they are terrified and living in desperate conditions. “I don’t know what I can do to save my children’s life, whether to stay at home or try to escape to somewhere safer,” Naji Al-Warfelli, Janzour resident told the Libya Herald.  “However, it remains a hard choice because if I flee, my home will be empty and exposed to robbery by bandits,” he added.

It is reported that five were killed and at least 15 wounded when fighting broke out on Thursday.  The exchanges allegedly started after a Wirshefani was caught trying to steal a car close to Bridge 17.

The Janzour Knights supposedly support the Presidency Council although they were formerly part of the old Libya Dawn alliance, while the Wirshefana forces back Khalifa Hafter.

Tags: Bridge 17JanzourJanzour KnightsLibyaWirshefani

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

More civilians injured by explosives in Sirte

Austria’s OMV looks to expand activity in Libya

Austria’s OMV looks to expand activity in Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.