No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Heavy BM casualties as noose tightens on IS in Sirte

byNigel Ash
August 29, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Heavy BM casualties as noose tightens on IS in Sirte

An exposed BM machine gunner firing from the hip (Photo:screen grab)

By Libya Herald reporters.

An exposed BM machine gunner firing from the hip (Photo:screen grab)
An exposed BM machine gunner firing from the hip (Photo:screen grab)

Tripoli, 28 August 2016:

Bunyan Marous today fighter paid a heavy price as they advanced on the last two IS-held Sirte districts. At least 35 were killed and more than 180 injured. Throughout the day, Misrata Central hospital reported the death toll mounting.

BM media said that the terrorists had launched five car bombs. It appears that only one of them was destroyed before it could do any damage.  This weapon, together with IEDs, booby traps and sniper fire has again accounted for the majority of BM casualties.

It is clear from footage published today that some BM fighters still think the most effective way of attacking is to run into the middle of an open area and let off a belt of ammunition in the direction of the enemy. They then duck back to rejoin their comrades. Today, one such act of bravado came very close to hitting the cab of a technical that had reversed toward IS positions. These single acts of exposure without covering fire provide terrorist snipers with excellent targets.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

BM says that around 1,000 fighters are closing in on districts 1 and 3 where IS fighters are still holding out. The break in the fighting since Thursday was reportedly to allow wives and children of terrorist fights to leave, though there is no clear evidence that this has happened.  The battle for Sirte has progressed with a series of pauses of several days in between attacks.

The final stages of the advance are proving expensive in human lives. It now seems that more than 400, mostly Misratan fighters have been killed and well over 2,000 wounded since May.  As of yesterday, BM was admitting that 370 men had been died but hospital sources suggest the toll is higher.

Approaching 100 US air strikes by fast jets, drones and more recently helicopter gunships have targeted IS strong points and suspected vehicle bombs. Overnight there were more air attacks, very probably by American warplanes, to soften up the terrorists before this morning’s assault. Through the morning, a black pall of smoke was rising from within IS territory. Fighting had actually begun last night in District 2. One report said that the terrorists had tried an abortive counterattack.  A maritime blockade, led by a converted Misratan Free Zone tug has sought to stop terrorists escaping or being resupplied by sea.

Tags: Bunyan MarsousfeaturedISLibyaSirteterrorist

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
First 2016 Haj pilgrims leave for Mecca

First 2016 Haj pilgrims leave for Mecca

Jakharra FM radio hits the airwaves

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.