No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Municipal Council suspended by Nazhuri

byMichel Cousins
September 24, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Sulaiman and Ajnadin Mustafa.

Chief of Staff Nazhuri has threatened to fire on foreign ships approaching Libyan ports not sanctioned by the HoR (Photo: LANA News Agency).
Abdul Razzaq Al- Nazhuri  (Photo: LANA News Agency).

Benghazi/Tripoli, 11 August 2016:

Benghazi Municipal Council has been suspended by Major General Abdul Razzaq Al-Nazhuri and its responsibilities transferred to Colonel Ahmed Al-Oraibi who has been appointed military commander of the city.

Nazhuri was appointed military governor of northern Cyrenaica in June by House of Representatives’ president Ageela Saleh at the request of General Khalifa Hafter. He is also nominally Chief of Staff.

Al-Oraibi is a currently a member of external security.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

According to a source close to the Libyan National Army (LNA), the measure was taken because the council was not functioning properly at a time when, as he put it, “Benghazi is at war”.

It was a temporary emergency measure, he added, and the council would be reactivated once security in the city was fully restored.

According to a member of staff of the local government ministry in the interim government in Beida under Abdullah Al-Thinni, the decision was agreed today at a meeting in Marj with the local government minister Mohamed Farouk Al-Mahdi.

Benghazi municipal councillor Anis Al-Majbri has welcomed the move, saying that it comes as no surprise. The work of the council had been paralysed by infighting over who should be in charge, he said. He accused Benghazi mayor Omar Barasi of not being there and doing little work.

He added that municipal councillors had met recently with Nazhuri to discuss the paralysis in the council’s dealings and that Nazhuri had said that he would appoint a military man to take over.

Two months ago, Barasi was sacked by his fellow councillors and replaced by Zakaria Beltamer. However, Barasi refused to go and was supported by Thinni who said that, given the situation in Benghazi, it was the wrong time to change mayors.

There are claims, however, that the real reason was that Thinni and the LNA did not want Beltamer to take over. He is reportedly sympathetic to the Presidency Council in Tripoli.

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Hafter appoints southern security committee

Tawerghans demonstrate in Tripoli and Benghazi on 5th anniversary of exile

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.