No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

France says three military officials killed in Libya

byMichel Cousins
October 25, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

No French intervention in southern Libya: Hollande
French President François Hollande (File photo)

Benghazi/Tunis/Paris, 20 July 2016:

The French ministry of Defence has announced that three members of French security forces were killed in a helicopter crash in Libya. A spokesman has also admitted that special French forces are on the ground in the country.

The confirmation about the helicopeter crash follows a similar statement to that effect by French President Francois Hollande.

The French authorities have not said, however, where the crash occurred or when.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

It is being widely assumed, nevertheless, that the crash was the one on Sunday near Magrun, some 70 kilometres south of Benghazi.

At the time, the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB), which claimed to have shot down the Magrun helicopter with a Sam missile, said that there were four people on board: two Libyans and two foreigners. That, though, was denied by the the Libyan National Army (LNA) which said that the crash was the result of a technical problem  and that all four people on board were Libyans.

This morning, the commander of the LNA’s Benghazi operations room, Colonel Abdussalam Al-Hassi, reiterated those denials, insisting in a TV interview that no French military were on board the Magrun helicopter.

However, adding to the confusion, the LNA now speaks of three people on board the downed flught, not four. They have been named as Omar Drissi (pilot), Boubacar Hassi (co-pilot) and Fathi Warfali (a flight technician).

If the three French military officials were on the same helicopter, that would make six on board.

According to reports in Paris, the three were not members of the French army but intelligence officials with the Directorate-General for External Security (DGSE). President Hollande alluded to this in his statement, saying that “we are carrying out dangerous intelligence operations” in Libya and that three soldiers, “who were involved in these operations” had been killed in the accident.

Commenting on the deaths, French government spokesman Stéphane Le Foll, confirmed that French secret services are operating in Libya.

“Yes, special forces are there”, he told French broadcaster France Info. They were there, he said, “to help and to make sure France is present everywhere in the struggle against terrorists”.

Despite earlier widespread allegations of French forces being in Benghazi and collaborating with the LNA since May, France has not made any statement until now about having a military presence in Libya. It did, however, admit to air surveillance to find out what is happening on the ground.

As well as the French, there are reports of British and Italian military observers in Benghazi, as well as Emirati forces, and most recently Russians. The British are also said to be present in Misrata, helping the Bunyan Marsous operation room in the fight against Islamic State in Sirte.

The French are also known to have anti-terrorist forces operating in the south of the country but based across the border in Niger, although President Hollande had previously denied it.

Tags: BenghazifeaturedFranceLibya

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Hariga resumes oil exports but Sarir production still on hold

Armed men shut down black market dealers as dinar plummets

Armed men shut down black market dealers as dinar plummets

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.