No Result
View All Result
Monday, December 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misratans take Gardabiya airbase from IS

byNigel Ash
June 5, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Misratans take Gardabiya airbase from IS

Sirte airport today after IS had been drive out (Photo: Bunyan Marsous Ops room)

By Libya Herald reporters. 

Sirte airport today after IS had been drive out (Photo: Bunyan Marsous Ops room)
Sirte airport today after IS had been drive out (Photo: Bunyan Marsous ops room)

Tripoli and Tunis, 4 June 2016:

Misratan-led Bunyan Marsous forces have driven IS terrorists out of the key Gardabiya . . .[restrict]airbase in a final battle which today cost the lives of four soldiers with 14 others injured.

Earlier in the day IS had boasted that it had thrown back an attack killing nine Misratans and injuring 15 others. In  event, it appears that the terrorists retreated fromthe airbase and its  adjacent civilian airport and headed northwards toward Sirte, which is 15 kilometres away .

IS also indicated in social media posts that they had established a defensive at Harawa, around 70 kilometres east of Sirte. It also claimed to have released prisoners in Sirte, but the identity of those freed was unclear, as was why they should have been let go.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

Morale among the predominantly Misratan fighters is said to be high, though their progress is still being hampered by a significant number of mines and booby traps left behind by the terrorists. There were no devastating truck bombs (SVBIED) attacks today, leading to speculation that IS may be conserving the vehicles and explosives it still has available.

Today the Bunyan Marsous operations room spokesman Mohammed Al-Ghasri denied persistent reports that foreign troops are fighting on the front line. One journalist reported last week being told by a Misratan soldier that he had seen British special forces on the ground. Another claim was that an SVBIED had been destroyed by British fire before it could reach its target.

Ghasri said only Libyans were fighting IS. He said that some 700 terrorists had been killed since the start of  Bunyan Marsous but warned that IS still had considerable strength in Sirte itself.  He added that therefore it was important that the UN arms embargo be lifted to allow weapons and ammunition to be brought to the frontline.

However those arms and ammunition may not be arriving any time soon. The UN Security Council last month agreed to lift the arms embargo for the Presidency Council but a UN spokesman said that Government of National Accord prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj  had yet to submit a detailed request for arms.

“The Libyan Government of National Accord will need to provide reassurance when making requests to the UN sanctions committee that there is no risk of arms exports being diverted to terrorist groups,” said  an unnamed diplomat, quoted by News 24.

The diplomat continued: “It will take time for the GNA to put in place the necessary measures, such as secure storage facilities. The request may therefore still take some time to issue.” [/restrict]

Tags: armsBunyan MarsousfeaturedGardabiyaISLibyaSirteUNSC

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Bargarthi rejects Thinni's move to disband anti-terrorism forces

Libya’s rival central banks team up for national recovery

Libya's rival central banks team up for national recovery

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration

    Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.