No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter the enemy, not IS, says Ghariani

byMichel Cousins
May 12, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

The Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadik Al Ghariani
Sadik Al Ghariani

Tripoli, 12 May 2016:

Sadik Al-Ghariani, the head of the Dar Al-Ifta (the fatwa house), has said the so-called . . .[restrict]Islamic State which controls Sirte is not the real enemy in Libya. Instead it is Khalifa Hafter.

Speaking on his Tanasah TV channel last night, he said that Libya was divided into two opposing camps, those of the revolutionaries and those of Hafter and his supporters. The real battle, he claimed, was for Benghazi, not for Sirte; the revolutionaries had to fight Hafter, not IS.

Given that situation, he expressed surprise that the Presidency Council should congratulate Hafter’s army in Benghazi on its victories.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Developing his idea, he called on Misratans not to try and move on past Abu Grain and fight IS in the central region. If they did they risked being “swallowed up” in the desert, as he put it. They needed at stay put and act as a “bulwark” to defend Tripoli from a possible advance by Hafters’ forces.

Abu Grain and its checkpoint are now effectively controlled by IS.

The logic of Ghariani’s argument that the revolutionaries should fight Hafter not IS appeared to fall apart, however, when he said that Hafter and IS were “one body”. This, he declared was, evident.

Ghariani has on other occasions claimed that Hafter and IS were two sides of the same coin.

In a separate move, Ghariani has also attacked the Libyan Politial Agreement and the Government of National Accord. In an opinion article written by him and published by the Libya Observer, he wrote “the government does not have legitimacy and is not an accord government as it was appointed by the UN envoy and no one was consulted about it.”

He accused it of starving people, its supporters of “waging large-scale media campaigns against the Fatwa House”, and the Libyan Political Agreement of humiliating and dividing Libya and taking it once again towards oppression.

Ghariani was recognised as the country’s grand mufti by the now vanished General National Congress and the Ghwell regime, although not by the House of Representatives which sacked him last year. The Presidency Council has so far taken no position on him, leaving him free to continue to operate. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaSadik Al-Ghariani

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

"94 Bloc" condemns Presidential Council creation

NOC says Thinni government blocking $10-million oil exports a day from Hariga

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.