No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sewehli tells Serraj to liberate Sirte as Hafter gathers forces and Presidency Council warns of possible IS oilfield attacks

byMichel Cousins
April 26, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sewehli tells Serraj to liberate Sirte as Hafter gathers forces and Presidency Council warns of possible IS oilfield attacks

Abdulrahman Sewehli with State Council members (file photo)

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tats
Abdulrahman Sewehli at the State Council (Photo: State Council)

Tripoli, 25 April 2016:

The president of the State Council, Abdulrahman Sewehli, has called on the Presidency Council to send . . .[restrict]troops to liberate Sirte and other nearby places currently controlled by the so-called Islamic State (IS). It also wants the Presidency to ask the UN Security Council to lift the weapons ban so that Libya can import arms to fight the extremists.

Rapid action was needed, a State Council statement today read, because IS was trying to expand its area of control as well as attacking oilfields in the Sirte basin.

It said that in line with clause 5 of Article 24 of the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA), it was advising the Presidency to recruit a force led by professional military commanders from all over the country to capture Sirte.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The clause states that the State Council can propose policies and recommendations on combatting terrorism, extremism, violence and exclusion.

The State Council statement also said that once Sirte and other places were freed, the Presidency should look at formally appointing the heads of military and security services in line with Article 8 of the of the LPA’s additional provisions.

Under the article, the Presidency Council was supposed to appoint or reappoint heads of major military, security and civilian posts within 20 days of the LPA being signed. The article is highly controversial and is bitterly opposed by supporters of Khalifa Hafter. Even the hundred members of the House of Representatives who last week announced their support for the Government of National Accord want it deleted.

Yesterday, the Presidency Council itself said that it had been warned by the National Oil Corporation of further terrorist attacks on oil facilities. It had also been told that Qaddafi loyalists were collaborating with foreign militias such as the rebel Sudanese Justice and Equality Movement to similarly disrupt the oil industry. It called on neighbouring and European states to help stop such attacks and also help prevent the flow of illegal migrants through Libya.

The State Council’s call follows the arrival in Tobruk on a Saudi vessel of a major consignment of military equipment for the Libyan National Army. Including some 100 vehicles, it is said to have been supplied by the UAE for the LNA’s proposed push against Sirte.

A successful LNA offensive against Sirte could seriously complicate the political process in Libya, undermining the LPA. This is thought to be a prime reason for Sewehli’s call for immediate military action by the Presidency Council.

Meanwhile, there are unconfirmed reports of remaining Sirte residents fleeing the town in recent days, fearing an attack.

Vehicles
Vehicles purportedly delivered to the LNA (Photo: Social media )
[/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaState Council

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Foreign Ministry handed to Presidency Council

Foreign Ministry handed to Presidency Council

G5 leaders decide little on Libya at brief Hanover meeting

G5 leaders decide little on Libya at brief Hanover meeting

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.