No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council postpones government announcement by 48 hours

byMichel Cousins
January 17, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Faiez Serraj
Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj (file photo)

Tunis, 17 January 2016:

The Presidency Council led by prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj has postponed its announcement of the . . .[restrict]new national unity government by 48 hours.

The announcement, under the agreement signed in Skhirat on 17 December, subsequently endorsed by the UN Security Council, was supposed to have been made within 30 days – the deadline being midnight Saturday.

In its statement issued shortly after midnight, the Presidency Council said that it had been in continuous session since the beginning of the month, that it had been unable to meet the deadline but was giving itself another two days to do so.

RELATED POSTS

As Tripoli PM Aldabaiba fills two vacant ministerial posts, Presidency Council expresses a split over the legality of their appointment

Benghazi Court of Appeal issues two rulings stipulating that it does not have jurisdiction to hear appeals against decrees issued by Presidency Council

There have been constant claims of heated rows within the council over names of the ministers and their deputies. The latest, allegedly, is over who becomes foreign minister.

It is said among the mass of Libyan politicians, activists, mayors who have been gathering for days in the lobby of the Residence Hotel in the Tunis seaside resort of Gammarth where the council is meeting that in addition to the nine-member Presidency Council, the government will comprise 22 ministers plus another 44 deputy ministers.

This makes a total of a massive 75, split equally between the country’s three historic provinces of Tripolitania, Cyrenaica and Fezzan. Additionally, the heads of 17 state institutions, such as the Central Bank and the National Oil Corporation have to be appointed (or reappointed).

For the past few days, the scene in the lobby has been akin to a medieval court with officials busy lobbying for particular interests or seeking preferment. Today, it was much more staid, with the various politicians and activists waiting quietly but expectantly for an announcement.

“It’s like a father at the hospital waiting for his wife to give birth, not knowing if it is going to be a son or a daughter”, said one politician hoping to be appointed a top ministerial post. “Except in this case we don’t know if the infant is going to be born damaged or with little chance of survival – or maybe stillborn.”

A number of Libyan mayors in attendance and even those working for the council expressed similar concerns.

Among them also there were rumours that the Libya Dialogue team who selected the Presidency Council had told it that if it did not chose a government by the midnight deadline, it would be sacked and new council chosen.

The rumour has not been confirmed. [/restrict]

Tags: Faiez SerrajfeaturedLibyaPresidency Council

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Kobler condemns delay forming Government of National Accord

Kobler condemns delay forming Government of National Accord

First blades arrive for Emsalata wind farm

First blades arrive for Emsalata wind farm

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.