No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon’s proposed government hits brick wall with HoR: UPDATE

byMichel Cousins
October 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon’s proposed government hits brick wall with HoR: UPDATE

By Libya Herald reporter.

Brick wall

Tobruk, 19 October 2015:

The House of . . .[restrict]Representatives appears to have rejected UN Envoy Bernardino Leon’s proposed Government of National Accord. In a session today, attended by 135 members, it insisted that the Libya Dialogue agreement initialled on 11 July in Skhirat was the only version it would agree to and that the numerous changes made to it by Leon since then were unacceptable.

The HoR also decided that while it would continue with the Dialogue process it would change its negotiating team, till now been led by the HoR’s deputy president, Emhemed Shouaib.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

HoR Benghazi member Abubakr Buera resigned from it last week in protest at the names presented by Leon.

This evening’s decision, read out before members left, was initially reported to have been unanimous. However, there was no vote and one member subsequently claimed that 70 of his colleagues disagreed with what had happened and they would be signing a statement tomorrow distancing themselves from the House’s supposed decision

That decision included five specific points. In addition to changing the negotiating team, the HoR said it rejected the names for the Presidency Council (the prime minister, three deputy premiers and two ministers) as well Leon’s proposals that Abdurrahman Sewehli head the State Council and Fathi Bashagha the security council. There should, moreover, be two deputy prime ministers as agreed in the 11 July Draft, not three, as changed by Leon.

Earlier, staff at the HoR reported they had been told to leave the building “for security reasons” because of expectations of protests.

On 8 October, the UN Special Envoy announced his choice of Faiez Al-Serraj as prime minister together with three deputy prime ministers, Ahmed Maetig, Musa Kuni and Fathi Majbri, and two other ministers, Omar Aswad and Mohamed Ammar, to constitute the Presidency Council.

In a move now widely seen as a major blunder, Leon also proposed Sewehli for the State Council, Bashagha for the security council and ministerial posts for another 17 prominent figures.

This report has been updated. It was initially reported there had been a vote. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredHouse of RepresentativesLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

E-Passport fiasco continues

HoR president heads to Cairo and UAE seeking support

HoR president heads to Cairo and UAE seeking support

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.