No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC changes mind and agrees to attend Geneva Dialogue talks; appoints new team leader

byMichel Cousins
September 3, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
GNC changes mind and agrees to attend Geneva Dialogue talks; appoints new team leader

Awad Abdul Saddeq (Photo: GNC)

By Libya Herald staff.

Awad Abdul Saddeq (Photo: GNC)
Awad Abdul Saddeq (Photo: GNC)

Tunis, 2 September 2015:

In a sudden further twist to its on-off relationship with the UN-brokered dialogue, the continuing . . .[restrict]General National Congress has agreed to turn up to tomorrow’s talks in Geneva, appointing its first deputy president, Awad Abdul Saddeq, as the new head of its four-man negotiating team.

He replaces Salah Makhzoum, the GNC’s second deputy president, who resigned a week ago amid reports of row between him and GNC President Nuri Abu Sahmain over whether the GNC should end its boycott of the Dialogue. It pulled out at the end of June objecting to parts of the Draft agreement subsequently approved in mid-July by all the other delegates.

Only yesterday, Tuesday, at talks in Istanbul between Leon and Abu Sahmain, the General National Congress was still threatening to continue it boycott. The talks were described by diplomats in attendance as “negative” and the 33 other GNC members accompanying Abu Sahmain as “hardliners”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Some GNC members are said to have said that if Leon did not accept their amendments to the Draft they would continue to shun the Dialogue until mid-October at which point, with the House of Representatives’ term having expired, they would call for fresh elections.

There has been no announcement on who will replace Mohamed Emazab another member of the GNC team who resigned the day after Makhzoum. There are reports, however, that Abdul Saddeq is being allowed to chose his own team rather than wait for the GNC to approve any other members.

The latest Geneva round is due to finalise agreement on the State Council and proposed amendments to the Constitutional Declaration which would enable the HoR to prolong its life beyond 21 October. The talks are also expected to discuss names for the prime minister and the two deputy prime ministers.

The HoR yesterday sent Leon a list of 12 names for the premiership and one of the two deputy premiers. The GNC is supposed to supply suggestions for the other deputy premier.

Meanwhile in a separate development Makhzoum has firmly denied an Algerian press report that he had been working with Moroccan intelligence.

In a statement published by the GNC, he said that allegations of involvement with Moroccan intelligence against Algeria were completely baseless and that he had started legal proceedings against the paper involved. [/restrict]

Tags: Awad Abdul SaddeqfeaturedGeneral National CongressLibyaUN Libya Dialogue

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Constitutional Assembly says final work will be in Ghadames

Internationally-recognized LIA applies to London Court for exclusive right to appoint board

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.