No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Former GNC members in Dialogue announce boycott, accuse Leon of GNC appeasement

byMichel Cousins
September 16, 2015
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Former GNC members in Dialogue announce boycott, accuse Leon of GNC appeasement

leon atSkhirat (UNSI)

By Libya Herald staff.

leon atSkhirat (UNSI)
Leon at Skhirat (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 16 September 2015:

Two members of the UN-brokered Libya Dialogue negotiations have announced they are now boycotting proceedings. . . .[restrict]They accuse UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon of appeasing the General National Congress (GNC) by agreeing to all its demands for amendments to the Draft accord. It was approved in July by all the participants other then the GNC team.

In a letter to him and to the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Tawfiq Shuhabi and Sharif Al-Wafi, both former members of the GNC, specifically said that the proposed Draft amendment allowing the current members of the GNC to join the State Council, rather than those elected in 2012, was unacceptable.

Those like themselves who had accepted democracy and withdrawn from the GNC when the House of Representatives (HoR) was elected were being ignored while those who rejected the peaceful transmission of power and resorted to arms to retain it were being rewarded by Leon, they said.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Calling on him to delay any decision on the size and composition of the council, they said that they would continue their boycott of the Dialogue until there was full discussion of the matter.

The boycott follows the decision by the HoR to reject Leon’s amendments to the Draft and call their delegates back to Tobruk.

Meanwhile, Leon has expressed confidence that a formula would be found to meet both sides’ positions, stating that the talks would continue and that such diversity of views was perfectly normal. There was still a lack of trust between the parties, but the gap between them was not big, he insisted.

He also indicted there could be further changes to the draft. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònfeaturedLibyaSharif Al-WafiTawfiq Shuhabi

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post
US citizens warned to quit Libya immediately

US citizens warned to quit Libya immediately

Government still seeks to wrest oil sales from Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.