No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Geroushi denies opposition to UN Dialogue

byMichel Cousins
July 24, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Sulaiman.

Airforce commander Saqr Adam . . .[restrict]Gerushi
Airforce commander Saqr Adam Geroushi

Benghazi, 24 July 2015:

The head of the Libya air force, Major-General Saqr Adam Geroushi, has denied claims that he is opposed to the UN-brokered Dialogue or the Draft peace plan endorsed earlier this month by most of the Dialogue delegates apart from those representing the Continuing General National Congress in Tripoli.

He and others in the Libyan National Army were not interested what the political leaders were doing, he told the Libya Herald.  “We don’t follow political events”, he said. “We’re fighting terrorism and we will continue to do so until all Libya is safe.”

That, he added, meant not just Benghazi, but Derna, Sirte and the capital, Tripoli, as well. 

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The LNA was not focussed on what politicians or those in the Dialogue said, he stated. “It’s not our business if they choose a good government or a bad government. Our business is to fight the terrorists.”

He added, however, that if the wrong people were chosen for the government, the public would almost certainly take to the streets to protest.

Geroushi’s name as well as those of the commander of the Libyan armed forces, General Khalifa Hafter and three leading hardliners in Tripoli – Abdurrahaman Sewehli, Saleh Badi and Abdul Rauf Al-Manaie – are said to be on an possible EU sanctions list because of their reported opposition to the Draft. 

The EU has confirmed that as part of its support for the Dialogue process and the Draft it “is prepared to adopt sanctions and has started to consider some names”. But it also insists that no names have been confirmed for the moment. Its foreign affairs spokesperson told this newspaper that the EU foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, also believed that any sanctions decision should be “discussed in the framework of the UN”.

Meanwhile, Geroushi added in his statement that the focus on the military by Hafter, himself and others would result in a new armed force being created that was properly trained, properly equipped and properly led. “We are going to build a new, clean, professional army – and one which has no militias,” he said.

[/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSaqr Adam Geroushi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

New Tunisian consul-general appointed for Tripoli

Air Defence chief dies of heart attack

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.