No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Delegates back in Skhirat, waiting to see if GNC team turns up

byMichel Cousins
July 9, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tunis, 9 July 2015:

All the delegates to the UN-brokered Libya Dialogue, other than those from the General National . . .[restrict]Congress, are now reported back in Skhirat in Morocco to reconvene talks on the latest Draft.

However, delegates and foreign ambassadors taking part have dismissed speculation that it would be initialled this evening or tomorrow. The present focus was on whether the GNC team would turn up, the Libya Herald has been told. But if they did not turn up within three days, said an ambassador, the others would almost certainly initial it.

One of the independent delegates also confirmed the three-day delay.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

The GNC group quit the talks on 28 June a few hours after it had been handed the latest draft. It did not return to Skhirat as planned the following Thursday when all the other delegates announced they approved the Draft and would sign it, with or without the Tripoli team. This week, the GNC decided that the delegates would not go back to Skhirat unless UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon agreed to accept that its amendments to the latest draft be discussed.

“The belief among the delegates here is that the GNC team accepts the Draft and would like to initial it,” the ambassador said. “But they are afraid.” He also spoke of concerns in Skhirat that the they might be physically prevented from flying out of Mitiga. But for the moment, he said, the others “want to give them time to come”.

The prospects are not encouraging. Leon is said to want the Draft initialled by Sunday. The GNC is not due to meet again on the issue until then at the earliest, but more likely on Monday.

If and when it is initialled, there would then be negotiations on the names of the Prime Minister and two Deputy Prime Ministers for inclusion in the annexes to the Draft. They would then nominate names of government ministers, also to be included in the annexes. This would then be passed to the House of Representatives to endorse.

The process does not, however, require the Draft to be endorsed by the GNC. Nor does it require that all the delegates sign the Draft, which would happen after the Government of National Accord is chosen.

Once such a government is approved by the HoR, the international community will then be able to provide Libya with arms and support to fight IS and other terrorists in the country – which for many foreign government is now the priority. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSkhiratUN dialogueUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
BREAKING NEWS: Army launches big counterattack in Benghazi

BREAKING NEWS: Army launches big counterattack in Benghazi

Shipping companies deny tanker seizures reports

Shipping companies deny tanker seizures reports

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.