No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN Security Council kicks Libya’s arms purchase request into touch

byNewsdesk2
March 10, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 10 March 2015:

Spain, backed by seven other nations, has asked to put on hold Libya’s request to . . .[restrict]for the UN arms embargo to be suspended so that it can purchase arms to aid its fight against Islamic State militants.

Libya’s ambassador to the UN, Ibrahim Dabbashi, made the request to the Security Council on 4 March. Normally such a request would be automatically approved unless a member of the Security Council specifically objected. Instead, in an unusual move clearly coordinated and designed to try and avoid been seen as taking an anti-libyan position, the United States, the UK, France, Chile, Lithuania, Angola and New Zealand have backed Spain’s request to delay the approval.

The arms embargo has been in place since the revolution. Libya had requested an exemption, asking to be allowed to import 14 MiG fighter planes, seven helicopter gunships, 150 tanks, 150 armed personnel carriers, 10,000 grenade launchers, plus mortars and ammunition – all to be provided through the Czech Republic, Serbia and Ukraine although it is believed that Russian suppliers would be involved .

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In what is seen as a bid to exert political pressure on the Libyan government and the House of Representatives to agree to the UN dialogue process and a government of national unity, the US and UK had previously said that the embargo should only be lifted once a unity government was agreed.

It is also said that the Security Council has concerns that weapons delivered to Libya might fall into the hands of extremists. Insisting that the fight against IS was urgent and that Libya could not wait for the outcome of the dialogue talks, Dabbashi told the Security Council that the “Libyan army is ready to accept an observer to ensure that the weapons approved by the committee are in effect delivered to the official Libyan army”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaUnited Nations Security Council

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Four GNC female members refused entry to Jordan due back in Tripoli

Four GNC female members refused entry to Jordan due back in Tripoli

Algiers dialogue draws in political party leaders

Algiers dialogue draws in political party leaders

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.