No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS video claims Tunisian member was Benghazi suicide bomber

byMichel Cousins
March 3, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
IS video claims Tunisian member was Benghazi suicide bomber

By Libya Herald staff.

IS video 1
Grab from IS video

 

Benghazi, 2 March 2015:

A Tunisian man was the suicide bomber who killed three people and wounded 20 others . . .[restrict]when he blew up his car in Benghazi’s Leithi district last month, the Islamic State (IS) has claimed.

A video posted by the Islamic State in Cyrenaica’s “media office” on its social networking page shows a man named as Abu Talha Al-Tunsi saying that he was going to be a suicide bomber. He was doing it for God and for the victory of IS, he claimed, but continuously threatening Tunisia. His action was, he further indicated, testimony of his loyalty to Abubakr Al-Baghdadi, the self-proclaimed IS caliph.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Abu Talha Al-Tunsi is clearly the nom de guerre given him by IS rather than his real name, but it strengthens suggestions that many IS fighters in Libya are Tunisian. One of the attackers on the Corinthia Hotel in Tripoli at the end of January is also said to have been Tunisian. IS named him as Abu Ibraheem Al-Tunsi. Last week, the Beida government’s information chief, Omar Gawairi, claimed that there were now 4,000 Tunisian “terrorists” in Libya.

The video is the second purportedly from IS in Cyrenaica. The earlier one, posted over the weekend, was addressed to “soldiers of the tyrant”, a reference to Khalifa Hafter, head of Operation Dignity.

Showing three masked men in Laithi, at Khaleej Street, one points his finger to Buhdeima district, saying that the men there fighting with Operation Dignity were apostates and enemies and that they would kill them in various different ways.

IS video
IS video from Leithi

The Libyan army were “enemies of God” the masked man said. “They will not enter Leithi, except as dead bodies,” he boasted.  In fact, a significant portion of Leithi is now under LNA control.

Residents from the area have stated that IS is now the main fighting force there, rather than Ansar Al-Sharia. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziIslamic StateLeithiLibyaTunisia

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Turkey accuses PM Thinni of “baseless allegations”, says he does not represent the Libyan people

Hafter promoted, appointed commander general of Libyan National Army

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.