No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Western allies welcome Geneva talks; guest list remains uncertain

byNewsdesk1
January 12, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 11 January 2015:

The governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK and the US have welcomed UN . . .[restrict]Special Representative to Libya Bernadino Leon’s announcement of a new round of political dialogue in Geneva this week, though it is still unclear which parties will participate in the talks.

According to United National Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), Leon has invited neither the Beida government, headed by Abdullah Al-Thinni, nor the Omar Al-Hassi-led Tripoli regime.

The Thinni government has, however, said it supported the talks and that it was  in constant communication with UNSMIL.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Hassi’s camp has made no statement regarding the fact that it will not be represented at the talks.

There are divisions, however, within Libya Dawn’s ranks over participation in the dialogue.  The leaders of the Misrata-based Central Libya Shield and the “17 Group” (leaders of a number of Misratan brigades seen as not ideologically motivated but loyal first and foremost to the city) approved the Geneva talks following their meeting with Leon in Tripoli last week. On the other hand, there are some Misratans saying that dialogue is a waste of time because, they believe, Libya Dawn is winning on the ground. Others in Libya Dawn, particularly those with a more Islamist focus, are even more opposed, especially after Leon’s meeting in Marj with General Khalifa Hafter.

Indicating the divisions, the Libya Dawn Media Centre has claimed that the General National Congress (GNC) was not in agreement on the Geneva talks and that it still had to inform UNSMIL of its approval or rejection.

“It is obvious that Leon seeks to ‘stir up’ the crisis by making it a greater international issue, thus extending the life of the crisis and giving Hafter and his ‘coupist’ gang more time to become part of the dialogue,” the Libya Dawn Media Centre posted on its official Facebook page.

In fact, a member of the continuing Congress told reporters yesterday that there is support for the Geneva meeting and that the concern now is to persuade all Libya Dawn members to accept it.

On the other side, there is also a voice within Operation Dignity and the House of Representatives that likewise thinks that it is winning and that dialogue is not needed.

 

Aldayri: 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinniBernadino LeonGeneral National CongressLibyaLibya DawnOmar Al-Hassi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Salvation government backtracks and allays fears of austerity policies affecting salaries

Libyan airlines flying into regulatory storm

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.