No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Many reported dead in Benghazi as LNA moves to flush out Ansar Al-Sharia

byMichel Cousins
January 27, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ayman Amzein and Farah Waleed.

Benghazi/Tripoli , 25 January 2015:

There has been deadly violence in parts of Benghazi today and this . . .[restrict]evening with Ansar Al-Sharia under intensive attack by the Libyan National Army. According to an LNA source, the militants have been firing rockets at random in response in both Leithi and neighbouring Buhdeima.

Reports vary on the number of dead and injured following what appears to have been an attempt by the LNA to flush out Ansar fighters in Leithi as well as the port area and nearby Sabri.

According to reports from Jalaa Hospital and the Benghazi Medical Centre, at least a dozen people were killed, of whom three were civilians including a seven-year-old girl and her mother. They died in Buhdeima. The rest were members of the LNA. However, ambulances are still taking casualties to Jalaa Hospital, which is close to Leithi, and the figure is expected to rise.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

So far, some 40 people (38 soldiers and two civilians) have injured, some seriously, and taken to Jalaa.

The figures do not appear to include Ansar casualties. “They were everywhere in Benghazi today,” a local resident said, after the LNA operation started. “They were lost They were trying to hide but they didn’t know where to go.,” he said, suggesting that they were not from the city.  Several had been killed, he added, with locals were keeping the LNA informed as to where they were.

Parts of the city are a war zone, with tanks moving moving around. “There is a tank outside my shop,” the resident said. Helicopter gunships were also being used, he added.

One source in the LNA says that Hafter ordered the attacks on Ansar to be intensified because, having gone to Saudi Arabia to pay his condolences at the death of King Abdullah, he was concerned that if it became known he was away, Ansar and its colleagues might try a new offensive.  Mohamed Hejazi, the spokesman for Operation Dignity, has denied that Hafter left the country, however. [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziBuhdeimaLeithiLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli insecurity and mid-year school holiday increase traffic at Libyan-Tunisian borders

Further clashes in both east and west despite ceasefire

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.