No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Airstrikes on Mitiga Airport: Libyan Dawn threatens counterattack

byMichel Cousins
November 25, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Airstrikes on Mitiga Airport: Libyan Dawn threatens counterattack

A security guard at Mitiga shows shrapnel from today's bomb attack (Photo: Libya Herald)

By Libya Herald reporter.

A security guard at Mitiga shows shrapnel from today's bomb attack (Photo: Libya Herald)
A security guard at Mitiga shows shrapnel from today’s bomb attack (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 25 November 2014:

The airstrikes which hit Tripoli’s Mitiga airport today, Tuesday, at around 8.30 am had minimal . . .[restrict]physical effect. Two bombs exploded in a grassed area between the runway and the control tower. There was little damage and no casualties as the Libya Herald saw when visiting the site this afternoon. Only a tree, located some distance away from the control tower, was partially destroyed by the second explosion. There was also some damage to the perimeter wall.

“My men saw a MiG-23 flying low altitude just before the explosions happened “, Sadiq Turki a Mitiga security officer, said. The airport’s security forces are gathered from former revolutionaries and full-time soldiers.

Sadiq Turki is convinced that the military plane flew from Al-Wattiya airbase and that it was dispatched by Hafter’s forces as, he claimed, was the first airstrike on Mitiga on Monday. “The government [that of Omar al-Hassi] should give us sophisticated weapons to defend ourselves. Mitiga Airport is now purely a civil airport, and we have no defence protection”.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

“There will be surprises”

Colonel Ali Abu Deyia from the air force supporting Hassi said that he would place anti-aircraft guns around all airports controlled by Libyan Dawn to “stabilise” the situation. Specifically Mitiga Airport would be more secured, he said, “because it is the airport of the capital”.

Asked if Libyan Dawn was prepared to bomb airports controlled by Hafter and the LNA in retaliation, Abu Deyia replied that “there will be surprises”.

Hassi had been scheduled to give to a press conference in the Prime Ministry this afternoon following the attack. Instead, Mahmoud Ismail from his Supreme Council of Defence turned up. He threatened “to target with a iron fist” what he called Hafter’s stronghold. He also called on the Hassi government and international organisations to “freeze the money” and “restrain the movements” of Hafter and “his gang of remaining Qaddafists”. Ismail insisted that his Supreme Council would “no spare effort in the defence of Libyans, in all regions of Libya.”

Hadi Fornaji adds: Yesterday, at a press conference in Tripoli after the first strike on Mitiga and the fall of the strategically important town of Kikla in the Jebel Nafusa, Hassi had declared war on Hafter, the House of Representatives and the Thinni government in Beida. He claimed that until then he had been prepared for dialogue with his opponents. He also claimed that a number of foreign countries were trying to bring about his and the revolution’s downfall by providing arms and personnel to Hafter and that UNSMIL leader Bernardino Leon was not impartial and did not understand what was going on in Libya.

The same line was taken today by the de facto spokesperson for the Hassi government, head of the Foreign Media department Jamal Zubia, “There is no room for dialogue now”, he said. “Now it’s about how to defend ourselves. We can’t talk about dialogue while our people are being bombed. Hafter is a criminal. He has killed thousands of people. He is continuing to take revenge for Qaddafi, using mercenaries and remnants of the Qaddafi forces.”

He too condemned the international community for not recognising the Supreme Court ruling annulling the elections to the House of Representatives in June.

He also said that the airport had had to be closed as a result of the attack with all flights diverted to Misrata. “It’s very hard to run flights under risk,” he said. But it would be opened very shortly, as soon as security was put in place.

Referring to yesterday’s attack, he said that three aircraft have been put in danger because of the action. One was landing, one taxi-ing and one taking off, he claimed. One was an oil flight, one Afriqiyah aircraft, and the third a private plane. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMitiga AirbaseOmar Al-HassiTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
A military council could take power but only if required: LNA

A military council could take power but only if required: LNA

Libya Dawn says new Jebel Nafusa offensive planned

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.