No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Government warns private Libyan satellite TV channels against incitement

bySami Zaptia
August 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

 By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 22 August 2014:

After the closure on Tuesday of the two official state satellite TV channels, Al- Rasmiya and . . .[restrict]Al-Wataniya, broadcasting via the Nilesat satellite, the Libyan government warned private satellite TV channels on Wednesday (20 August) against incitement.

It warned that if they are to continue in their broadcasts, it would take local and international legal action.

In its statement, the government said that the state owned channels were forcibly entered and their managing board were evicted and were taken over by one of the groups (militias) currently fighting in Tripoli.

RELATED POSTS

Al-Wataniya prepares for expansion; opening station in Tunisia

Thinni raises his media and communication performance to previously unseen heights

These government owned channels were engaging in inciting and inflammatory broadcasts encouraging violence and hatred and were providing large amounts of airtime to personalities that were engaged in incitement, the government statement explained.

In view of this, the government statement said that the necessary steps were taken to stop their broadcasts through the operating company (Nilesat) and revealed that work is at hand to recommence broadcasting through the two state channels with a Libyan, patriotic, relevant dialogue that is neutral and distant from incitement and violence and in cooperation with the HoR.

To this end, the statement continued, the government calls on private Libyan channels that broadcast from within and without Libya to cease their inflammatory and provocative campaigns for terrorism and killing against Libyans and the destruction of the country’s infrastructure

The statement also warns these channels to cease immediately such activity and to create a relevant dialogue that calls for the end to fighting and the saving of blood and the safety of civilians and calls on Libyans to be rational and conciliatory, mindful of a united Libya and the life of the innocent.

The government statement further goes on to say that, if any of these channels continue in their way of incitement to violence, the government will seek the legal indictment of the owners and managers of these channels, local and internationally with responsibility with incitement to violence and the attack on civilians and the terrorizing of the innocent.

It will be recalled that both the state owned stations are in the hands of Islamists and anti-government forces and have refused to broadcast coverage of proceedings of the House of Representatives (HoR).

The Al-Wataniya was taken over on 4 August, the date of the first sitting of the HoR, by forces belonging to Abdul Rauf Kara, who is in effective control of Mitiga civilian airport and airbase. They had ordered staff not to broadcast the inauguration that day of the new parliament and in future to support the Misratan-led Libya Dawn military operation in Tripoli.

The boss of Rasmiya, Nizam Tayyari, likewise has pursued a determinedly anti-HoR and anti-government line.

On another note, Ali Tekbali, HoR member for Tripoli Centre, has revealed since that the order to the Cairo based Nilesat, on which the two state channels broadcast, to close the two channels down originated from the HoR and not the government. [/restrict]

Tags: Al-RasmiyaAl-Wataniyaincitementprivately owned TV channels

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Mystery warplanes again attack Dawn in Tripoli

Mystery warplanes again attack Dawn in Tripoli

Sebha sends aid convoy to displaced families in western Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.