No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Goldman Sachs backs down in LIA’s $1.2 billion case

byNigel Ash
August 20, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Goldman Sachs backs down in LIA’s $1.2 billion case

The High Court in London

By Hadi Fornaji

The High Court in London
The High Court in London

Tripoli, 20 August 2014:

The US investment bank Goldman Sachs has given up trying to have the Libyan Investment Authority’s . . .[restrict]$1.2 billion lawsuit thrown out by a London court. The case is therefore due to start in October.

The LIA launched the civil action in the High Court in the UK this January. It claimed that in 2008 Goldman Sachs had put $1.2 billion of LIA funds into a complex leveraged speculation that the shares of six companies would increase in the next three years. The transaction, for which the US bank took some $350 million in fees, bombed when the international financial markets collapsed in the wake of the US subprime crisis.

The investments, based on the share prices of insurance giant Allianz, Banco Santander, Citigroup, Électricité de France, Italy’s UniCredit bank and oil company ENI, all became worthless.

RELATED POSTS

MedSky CEO foretells the resumption of direct Tripoli-London flights as an imperative on several levels

Libyan Business Fair to be held on 20 November in London

This April Goldman Sachs asked the High Court to throw out the action on the grounds that it had no reasonable chance of success. The bank has now withdrawn this application which the LIA said yesterday was in any event “misconceived and issued purely for tactical reasons, including a desire to delay the determination of the LIA’s claims”.

The US bank has emailed a statement saying: “We continue to believe this case is entirely without merit and intend to contest it vigorously as it moves through the legal process”.

The  LIA said yesterday: “application was misconceived and issued purely for tactical reasons, including a desire to delay the determination of the LIA’s claims”.

At the time that it launched its action, the Authority said that from its engagement in 2007, Goldman Sachs had deliberately exploited a relationship of trust and confidence. It had preyed the LIA’s extremely limited financial and legal experience. Goldman employees had had unfettered access to the LIA’s offices, systems and information and had provided extensive hospitality to the Authority’s employees. They had taken advantage of this unique position.

The LIA also claimed, when it launched the London action, that the deals involved “were inadequately documented by Goldman Sachs, with the details of the actual trades undertaken being provided to the LIA weeks (and in some cases months) after the trades were executed.  When the LIA received these and began to understand the true nature of the disputed trades it became clear that the trust and confidence placed in Goldman Sachs had been abused.”

The LIA has also launched a claim in London for $1.5 billion against French bank Societe Generale claiming that it paid $58 million to a Qaddafi family friend in order to secure LIA investments.

http://www.libyaherald.com/2014/01/31/lia-sues-goldman-sachs-over-1-2-billion-losses/

  [/restrict]

Tags: $1.2 billionfeaturedGoldman SachHigh CourtLibyalondon

Related Posts

Zueitina Oil Co. successfully tests new B1-106/4 well with production rate exceeding 3,000 bpd
Business

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

May 22, 2026
Mellitah Oil and Gas launches its tree planting campaign at El-Feel oil field
Business

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

May 22, 2026
Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

May 22, 2026
Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports
Business

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

May 22, 2026
Tripoli Chamber invites investment proposals for its buildings
Business

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

May 21, 2026
Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91
Business

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

May 21, 2026
Next Post

Sudanese pro-Ansar mercenaries arrive in Kufra?

Libya Dawn opponents attack Sebha Muncipal Council

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.