No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU must unite to end people-smuggling disasters: IOM

byCallum Paton
August 25, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
EU must unite to end people-smuggling disasters: IOM

Asylum seekers desperate to reach Europe (photo:news.com.au)

By Libya Herald staff.

Asylum seekers desperate to reach Europe (photo:news.com.au)
Asylum seekers desperate to reach Europe (photo:news.com.au)

Tripoli, 25 August 2014:

Over the past five years Libya has failed to deal effectively with illegal . . .[restrict]immigration an official from the UN-backed International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has said.

 In an interview following the deaths of scores of migrants in the Mediterranean, the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, also told the Libya Herald that the European Union needed a unified approach to the problem of illegal migration in Libya.

He said the original tragedy in 2009, in which 200 African migrants died off the coast of Libya, had “surprised and saddened the world” adding that the problem still exists.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Climate Change, Food Security, and Migration Report: IOM

Regulating migrant workers and promoting voluntary deportation programmes for illegal immigrants ‎discussed by Labour and Interior Ministers

The navy announced two days ago that at least 170 individuals were drowned as they attempted to reach Europe. Naval spokesman Ayoub Qasim said of those only 17 had been rescued by the coast guard on Saturday. Subsequent unconfirmed reports have claimed that as many as 250 people were aboard the wooden boat when it sank just one mile off the coast near Garabulli. There has been no further official response to the tragedy.

There has been a massive spike in the number of deaths at sea since the start of the summer. Traffickers make use of the calmer summer seas in their attempts to get more and more migrants to Europe. In mid-May some 60 migrants lost their lives when two  boats sank over two days in separate incidents.

The Italian government  has criticised the EU for the lack of help in dealing with the crisis. It says it spends about €9 million a month in efforts to curb illegal migration and assist vessels in distress around the Italian coast.  Yet, according to Italian Interior Ministry statistics, 36,627 migrants had already landed along Italy’s southern coast in the first half of 2014.

The Libyan government has taken the view that the tens of thousands of migrants leaving Libya’s shores for Europe are primarily Europe’s problem. Acting Interior Minister Saleh Mazegh said in May that if the EU did not take a tougher stand, Libya would open the floodgates to allow Africans to head  to the continent.

The EU Integrated Border Assistance Mission in Libya (EUBAM) introduced a number of initiatives in hope of curbing the rising flow of migration.  These included coastguard training and instruction to border guards. The government also created a new border protection agency within the Ministry of Interior, but the problem has intensified. Human rights NGOs have meanwhile documented a series of human rights abuses at facilities where illegal migrants are held.

People-trafficking from coastal towns has grown steadily since the revolution. Over the last year, as the government’s already-limited authority waned further,  it has positively flourished. It is alleged that people-traffickers actually use the Italian Navy in their operations, by abandoning their boats and passengers, the minute they sight an Italian vessel.

[/restrict]

Tags: EUBAMfeaturedillegalItalyLibyamigration

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Justice & Construction Party attacks parliament decision labelling Libya Dawn as terrorists

Heavy casualties as Benghazi clashes rage on

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.