No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyans show little concern about Bukhatallah seizure

byNewsdesk2
June 23, 2014
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 22 June 2014:

There appears to be little opposition to the arrest of Ali Ahmed Bukhatallah, according to . . .[restrict]a straw poll carried out by the Libya Herald, though some respondents regretted that it had been the Americans and not the Libyans that had taken him into custody.

The poll suggests there was only limited anger at the violation of Libyan sovereignty.

When asked about the return of former premier Ali Zeidan, there was general indifference, sometimes coupled with mystification. Zeidan was sacked by the General National Congress (GNC) in March and subsequently fled the country. Last week he returned to Libya, appearing in the town of Beida and insisting that he was still Libya’s legitimate prime minister.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Zeidan is questioning the legitimacy of the vote of no confidence in the GNC that led to his removal from office. The GNC passed the motion removing Zeidan with 124 votes in favour out of 138, a margin of just 14. Zeidan wants the courts to rule that Congress’s decision to fire him was illegal.

His call on the courts to reinstate him is seen by many as an attempt to capitalise on the Supreme Court’s annulment of Congress’s decision appointing Ahmed Maetig as prime minister.

The straw poll conducted by Libya Herald staffers in Benghazi and Tripoli indicates that most people feel that Zeidan has waited way too late to press his case with the courts, or they simply just see him as irrelevant.

Several indicated that they simply did not care that Zeidan had returned. Benghazi resident Fatima Awad stated, “Zeidan’s arrival means nothing.”

Nadine Al-Sharif of Benghazi said, “Ali Zeidan’s visit is unwelcome. He was the first one to call for the arrest of Khalifa Hafter (back in February).”

More emphatically stated are the comments of Salah Mahmoud, also of Benghazi: “Zeidan was a failure and we cannot trust him again.”

A few respondents said that they believes Zeidan is the legitimate Prime Minister who was elected legally and has a right to return. A Benghazi accountant named Bubakir said that with the circumstances of his removal from office being so unclear he should be allowed to return and contest that legally.

When asked about the capture of Bukhtallah by US special forces, Hassan, a Tripoli resident, told the Libya Herald, “Killing the American ambassador was a heinous crime and I am against any extreme ideology, but I wish the Libyan government had been the one who arrested him without its sovereignty being violated.”

Another Tripoli resident named Ismail said, “Although I realise that this is a violation of our country’s sovereignty, I believe people such Bukhtallah are a prime obstacle against establishing the country’s institutions. Furthermore, as for me, I can’t forgive Bukhtallah for his shameful crime of killing a guest in Libya, an ambassador at that.”

Many responded by saying that they wish that the Libyan government had arrested him a long time ago, but that since it did not, they are glad that the Americans captured him, adding that they think he deserves punishment.

Osama from Benghazi said that it should have been done a long time ago and he had hoped that the Libyan government would arrest Bukhtallah.

Similarly, Tawfiq Al-Jahmi of Benghazi declared, “For this arrest we are very happy because our government failed to protect us from people like Bukhtallah. We welcome this from America.”

Benghazi resident Salah Mahmoud added, “The government holds meetings and issues declarations, but as the sons of Benghazi are killed, the government is silent. America saved us from this terrorist.”

Benghazi law graduate Nada Mohammed put it this way: “We’ve waited for the government to put an end to terrorism. Our government is so weak and broken.”

Ahmed Saad of Benghazi pointed out that the fact that no one is protesting in the streets is huge evidence that the majority of Libyan people are happy with the move.

There are some dissenters. GNC member Abdullah Ghamati told the Libya Herald that he would have preferred that the arrest happen as a result of coordination between the two governments and not in the way it took place.

A Benghazi lawyer by the name of Niquin said that she sees this event as a violation of state sovereignty, if it really took place without any permission from the Libyan authorities.

In the end, however, the clear results of the straw poll showed that most Libyans are not too upset about any violation of Libyan sovereignty and are ready to see an end to terrorism in their country.

Perhaps Benghazi media worker Nadine Al-Sherif put it most vividly when she said, “This is one of the first good things that has occurred. The Minister of Justice explained (in an interview) that there was a warrant against Ahmed Bukhatallah, but because of the security situation they had not been able to arrest him. The government cannot do what the US authorities achieved with this criminal. Libya did not arrest him for it, even after two years, because of the weakness of the state. The argument about the violation of Libya’s sovereignty is just an excuse being used by those who are afraid of extremist groups.” [/restrict]

Tags: Ahmed BukhtallahAli ZeidanLibya

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

New mayors for more towns

Yet another adjournment in trial of Qaddafi-regime leaders

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.