No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Five dead in Benghazi over past two days

byCallum Paton
June 17, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim and Moutaz Ahmed. 

Benghazi, 17 June 2014:

The bodies of five men all killed in Benghazi have arrived . . .[restrict]at the city’s medical centre since yesterday.

Spokesman for Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC) Khalil Guider told the Libya Herald that the body of Zaid Amad Shamsa had been brought to the hospital this morning. He said the man had been found dead in Benghazi’s Boudzera district.

A resident in the city’s Al-Berka area said he had seen Shamsa kidnapped by a group of men who arrived in two cars. He added that Shamsa had been shot in the thigh when he attempted to resist his assailants. It is believed that at the time of his kidnapping he was travelling to offer condolences to friends who were grieving the death of their son.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Guider said the body of an Egyptian national had arrived at BMC yesterday. Identifying the man as Khalifa Sayed Hamed, he said Hamed had died of a gunshot wound and was in his mid-thirties.

Meanwhile, Benghazi was this evening  preparing for its second night of a traffic curfew, when the only way for people to get around between midnight and 6am is on foot.

Last night’s ban appears to have been widely respected, though in the past week night-time traffic has diminished with travellers wary of being caught up in fighting between Operation Dignity forces and Ansar Sharia.

The traffic curfew has been imposed by the Benghazi Joint Security Room. Its men could be seen last night moving around the city centre after midnight.  A road block at Al Kish near the Tripoli Bridge came under attack at around 1am, by unknown assailants. The heavy gunfire that was heard for several minutes resulted in  serious injury to a Security Room soldier, who later died in hospital.

Areas of Benghazi endured power cuts in the course of the day but until this evening, when gunfire was heard near the city centre, the level of violence appeared to have diminished. It remains unclear whether Ansar Sharia forces are still resisting the attack on their base at Sidi Faraj, which began on Sunday.

In an unusual development, air force planes yesterday bombed an airstrip at Teka, some 20 kilometres west of Benghazi. Operation Dignity spokesman Mohammed Hejazi told this paper that the action had been taken to stop Islamist forces  from trying to fly in weapons and ammunition.

With additional reporting from Ayman Amzein [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziBMCdeathsLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

No role in Bukhatallah seizure: Operation Dignity

Cranes are moving – work restarts on Tripoli’s Al Ghazala InterContinental Hotel

Cranes are moving - work restarts on Tripoli’s Al Ghazala InterContinental Hotel

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.