No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Acting Interior Minister’s accusations astound Europeans

bymichele vick
May 12, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet

 Tripoli, 11 May 2014:

The European Union says it is amazed at accusations from the acting Minister of Interior, Saleh . . .[restrict]Mazegh, that it has been “lax” on the issue of illegal immigration in Libya.

He made the accusation during a press conference held in Tripoli on Saturday.  He threatened Libya would open its borders if Europe did not take seriously Libya’s contribution in addressing illegal immigration. Libya “demands actions and not words”, he said, according to the Libyan Ministry of Interior Facebook page.   

The EU would “pay dearly if it did not work with the Libyan government in stopping the sweeping flood of illegal immigrants through the Libyan territory”, he declared in language seen as reminiscent of the Qaddafi era. He drew attention to increasing rates of disease and crime, as well as the deterioration of the security situation.  These, he claimed, were due to the  presence of hundreds of thousands of illegal African migrants in the country.

RELATED POSTS

IOM reports 928,839 migrants identified across Libya in 2025

Three million illegal immigrants in Libya, 75 % of whom are families, constitute ”settlement” which Libyans reject – illegally transfer US$ 7 billion annually: Interior Minister Trabelsi

EU ambassador and Head of Delegation in Libya Nataliya Apostolova expressed her surprise at Mazegh’s  statements. Speaking to the Libya Herald, she said that Mazegh’s statement was “extremely worrying”.   There appeared to be an attempt to use the issue to put pressure on the EU.

She was looking for a clarification of Mazegh’s statements, she said, adding that there had been a request from the head of the EU Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) in Libya to the Minister of Justice to discuss the issue.

Last Thursday, the migrant issue was one among many that Mazegh discussed with French Minister of Interior Bernard Cazeneuve while in Paris. There was no indication at the time, however, that the acting minister felt that Europe was not taking the issue seriously.

It has been estimated that over a thousand illegal migrants a day, African and Asian, leave Libya’s shores on boats of varying standards hoping to reach Europe. They can pay around $1,000 each for the trip. In some instances, it is said that the racket involves local officials. The vast majority make it although there are tragedies such as the most recent off the shore at Garabulli.

EUBAM in Libya is not involved in preventing illegal immigration. Rather it is helping in training the Libyan organisations improve border security and control.

The spat comes just days after EU High Representative of Foreign Affairs, Catherine Ashton, announced the widely expected appointment of a personal envoy for Libya.  Bernardino Leon, an experienced Spanish diplomat, and until now the EU Special Representative for the Southern Mediterranean region, will be based in Brussels as her adviser, co-ordinating and facilitating the EU’s policy and actions on Libya, and visiting the country regularly.

Apostolova described Leon’s assignment as “important”, showing “commitment of the EU towards Libya”, while noting his strong experience in the region. She added that he would serve as a good mediator between Libya and the EU.

The UK also recently appointed a special adviser on Libya, Jonathan Powell.  The US also plans to appoint one. [/restrict]

Tags: EU ambassadorEUBAMEUBAM LibyaEuropean UnionIllegal Immigrantsillegal immigrationLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

National Under-20s match against Tunisia ends in 1-1 draw

Explosion in Sebha factory; three dead

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.