No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli renews bid to kick out militias

bythomwestcott
March 11, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 11 March 2014:

Tripoli is to make a renewed attempt to rid the capital of armed groups, according . . .[restrict]to the head of the local council Sadat Elbadri.

“We don’t want named armed groups here, we want proper official security,” Elbadri told the Libya Herald. He added that kidnappings had become commonplace and were occurring in the capital on a daily basis.

“Tripoli has to be cleansed of unwanted forces and unwanted heavy weaponry,” he said, invoking Law No. 27 to remove militias from the capital.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government confirms three track security policy: supporting regular army, ending gangs and armed outlaw groups and maintaining stability

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Elbadri admitted that this was not the first time the Council had tried to remove militia presence from Tripoli. Armed groups had been given time to leave the capital, he said, but they had not responded.

“This is more than just a statement, we have people on the ground,” Elbadri said. He added that the Tripoli Military Council and local revolutionaries would implement the decision, which came after two days of meetings between the local and military councils.

The announcement has come at a decisive moment on how Libya approaches armed groups operating outside the law, in particular those under the control of self-styled federalist leader Ibrahim Jadhran.

Misratan forces took to the sea this week to help vessels operating under the Libyan Navy try to apprehend an oil tanker that loaded an illegal shipment of oil at Sidra, one of three oil export terminals controlled by Jadhran.

Further forces from Misrata today successfully took on federalist armed groups which had occupied Sirte’s Ghardabiya airbase for several days. They are reportedly now awaiting reinforcements and orders to head east to bring the oil ports back under state control.

Tripoli Council’s announcement also came shortly after the General National Congress (GNC) announced it had passed a vote of no-confidence against Prime Minister Ali Zeidan, removing him from post with immediate effect. He has been temporarily replaced with Minister of Defence Abdullah Al-Thinni. [/restrict]

Tags: armed groupsfederalistsJadhranLibyamilitiasTripoliTripoli Local Council

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Libyans continue to be optimistic, for democracy – against use of force and unilateral regional autonomy

Libyans continue to be optimistic, for democracy - against use of force and unilateral regional autonomy

Abdullah Al-Thinni – caretaker Prime Minister for two weeks

Abdullah Al-Thinni - caretaker Prime Minister for two weeks

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.