No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Congress orders new elections for 13 unfilled Constitutional Assembly seats

byMichel Cousins
March 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Benghazi, 23 March 2014:

There will be fresh elections for the 13 seats on the 60-member Constitutional Assembly, . . .[restrict]declared unfilled after polls on 20 February, the General National Congress (GNC) decided today.  

Congress spokesman Omar Hemidan said that the members had agreed to giving the High National Election Commission (HNEC) permission to select another date for the contest.

“There was no quorum required to pass the resolution, and it passed by a majority of those who attended the session,” Zliten Congressman Abdullah Jawan, told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government forces regain control over Ras Jedir Libyan-Tunisian border crossing

Armed clashes between government forces and local Zuwara forces at Libyan-Tunisian border crossing – Tunisia closes border

On 20 February, voting was prevented from taking place in 81 polling centres because of violence, fears of violence, blockades and boycotts. Additionally, there was no attempt to hold elections in the two Amazigh sub-constituencies of Zuwara and Jebel Nafusa where no Amazigh candidates stood.

Attempts to re-hold the disrupted elections six days later on 26 February were equally unsuccessful, because in the areas where there had been boycotts HNEC did not have the authority to deal with the reasons for the boycott and where security was the issue, such as Derna, there was no effort by the authorities to provide it.

Further polling attempts were not possible because under the law governing the Constitutional Assembly poll, HNEC was only allowed one extra try, and it had to be within a week of the original vote.

It is believed that now Congress has agreed to the principle of consensus as demanded by the Amazigh and Tebus, there is a every possibility of them agreeing to new polls. Last week although both appeared dismissive of its agreement to the principle,  they left the door open by indicating  that if it spelled out what it was agreeing to in detail, they would join the assembly. 

 

For his part, Jawan said that statements made recently by acting Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni, who remains the Minister of Defence, were indicators to that he was provide security across the country, in Benghazi, Derna and elsewhere. [/restrict]

Tags: amazighcongressConstitutional AssemblyHNECLibyaTebu

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Thinni reaches out to Tawerghans

Body found "may be that of missing helicopter pilot"

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.